Durable exterior paint recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
There seems to be so many paints on the market these days, gloss, acrylic, barn paint, etc. etc. I'm undecided what would be most suitable.

I've repurposed a couple of old table tennis tables (coated 30mm chipboard) and I'd like to use them as potting tables and a workbench. They will live outside, but covered with a tarp in wet weather.

Could anybody recommend a durable, hard wearing paint please, Hopefully something that's quite scuff resistant.

Many thanks

Hammerite is pretty good and so is dulux weather shield. Then you have sandtex multi surface paint
Microseal Ultra Smooth Weatherproof Masonry 15 Year Exterior Wall Paint - Cornish Cream - 10L
£32.00£40

Wickes

(582)

By Productcaster
Shop now
Image of Sandtex 10 Year Exterior Multi-Surface Satin Paint, Bay Tree 2.5L, Paints, Shed Paint, Garden Furniture Paint, Door Paint, Windo
Sandtex 10 Year Exterior Multi-Surface Satin Paint, Bay Tree 2.5L, Paints, Shed Paint, Garden Furniture Paint, Door Paint, Windo
£41.21
Recently painted some decking and used ronseal decking paint
Ronseal Ultimate Protection Decking Paint 2.5L in Slate
£31.63

Toolstation
Which gave excellent results on new decking in 2 coats ..

There used to be an award winning architect (Mike something) on here (departed a year or two back) who was very generous with helping with design stuff. Anyway he only specified Bedec multi surface paint (MSP) for outside painting jobs as he believed it to be the best and most durable solution.

Many thanks for the excellent recommendations so far. I will read up about all of the options suggested.

Hi there
I recently repainted the outside of my house i used Zinsser paint.
The eaves and soffits had about 10 layers of old paint on which was cracking and blistering badly undoubtedly Lead based.

I gently stripped back with a heat gun in full PPE getup !!

As to the paint couldnt fault it.
x2 Coats of crack resistant (Peel Stop)
x2 Coats of Primer Undercoat (BullsEye 123)
x1 Coat Gloss (All Coat Exterior Gloss Solvent Based)

I also repainted the pebble dashed areas.
x2 Coats All Weather Exterior Masonry Paint.

However due to our exceptionally coarse stone and render it took another tin over and above the calculated amount !
Check ou their website give them a call they are super helpful

Kr
P

Armstead or Johnson's Pliolite for the masonry. Oil based is easier to use and lasts much better than any water based paint, especially if you can't guarantee the weather - it can pee down 10 to15 minutes after you've used it and it'll be OK. Expensive but worth it.

I do quite like barn paint.. msp is nice to(although soft) these type of water base do have flex but can encounter adhesion issues on hard or oily or denatured wood. It's advised to thin the first coat a bit and sand to 120/180 no finer. If you decide oil based is the way(and if oil based has been used before it probably is) then flex is the watchword. So sandtex flexi gloss or satin as a system(undercoat/ top). To which I always add owatrol. More in the base coats. To aid adhesion between coats. I've got jobs finished this way 6 years ago that still look amazing. In fact one was next to a house finished by a Decorator painted at the same time. The difference is night and day. But when completed his looked a bit better(being a dec).
I believe there is a method using water based on top of oil that can give great results and someone told me the products to use. But I've forgotten there names! I do recall they were expensive though!

Hi,
There seems to be so many paints on the market these days, gloss, acrylic, barn paint, etc. etc. I'm undecided what would be most suitable.

I've repurposed a couple of old table tennis tables (coated 30mm chipboard) and I'd like to use them as potting tables and a workbench. They will live outside, but covered with a tarp in wet weather.

Could anybody recommend a durable, hard wearing paint please, Hopefully something that's quite scuff resistant.

Many thanks
IMHO 30mm chipboard won't last long outside whatever you paint it with, even with a tarp. Is it worth the cost of the paint?

Latest posts

Back