Domestic work 110 or 240 legal requirements??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No skills":3uu19yg3 said:
Maybe make up a lead with commando type plugs on it (with one on the saw too) if your outdoors with 240 a fair bit.
That's very sensible for lots of different reasons:
  • They'll cope with thicker cables correctly,
  • They (should be) a lot physically stronger than 13A plugs,
  • They have no fuses fitted, so they can't blow nor heat up in use,
  • The round pins have much lower contact resistance than the rectangular ones, so they don't heat up as much nor drop the voltage as much (nor simply fail as much).
  • There is a mechanical latch, so they shouldn't come undone unexpectedly (I knot 13A trailing sockets & plugs together up ladders, which is wasteful of cable length)
  • They're not waterproof, but they are a lot more water resistant. In particular, if made-off correctly and maintained (the cable gland needs to be good condition), they prevent water running down the lead into the plugs and sockets (which 13A plugs generally don't, especially if it's a fat cable). If you dangle a trailing 16A SOCKET so it faces downwards, the plug and socket together are close to showerproof (they are NOT waterproof - must stress that), which you could never claim for 13A ones. The dangling thing should only be temporary, BTW.
My favourites are the Niphan range, which have all the advantages of the 16A "commando"-style, and will withstand being driven over (only by cars!), and are properly waterproof if made up correctly. But they're hugely expensive now, heavy, smash glass if they bang into it, and the screws fall out. You have to be of a certain age to appreciate them, probably.

I doubt there is a "perfect" solution, anyway.

[edited to emphasize & agree with NoSkills, below]

Agree with all of what Eric is saying, but I'll add the following note.
If commando lead connections are left vertical for extended periods in very bad weather they can collect water and trip the supply (generally if the female connector is pointing up).
As mentioned water resistant but not water proof (ip whatever).

Corky74":1y7xlb55 said:
Probably my main issue is when I'm fitting decking or building a gazebo or other exterior works and have my compound saw 240v out which obviously is on 240 v extension , I cover up my saw if it's a shower but never my cable , I do work outside about 25% of time , probably I'd be safer with 110v. But it is on a rcd too so it's got some protection
If it's a 1-gang (trailing) extension then the cheap & cheerful solution is to put it inside a plastic paint kettle, make a couple of cut-outs in the lid to accommodate the cables, gaffer tape the cables to the insides of the kettle so the plug/socket combo stays on the base, then turn it upside down. Put the whole thing inside a large plastic mailing bag (no air holes) or another container of some kind e.g. overturned bucket if you're still feeling nervous.

Alternatively, push the boat out and spend £25 on an IP55 extension cable :)

HTH Pete

My Main worry was 110 or 240 cable being outside as if there was damage to cable, obviously 110 safer but still dangerous if things go wrong, I've got ip rated extension, it's more along the lines of cable and voltage what concerned me,I'm bit split on which to use, I'm pulled towards 110 but that's probably because Ive always used it on site but now I'm doing domestic, ideal world I'd av both but funds don't allow

110 volt tools Ive heard are not as powerful, for example chop saws. I think the length of extension has a significant impact, but to some extent that is detetmined by the job not choice.

Sawyer":1cmnj0l1 said:
Interestingly, an electrician I know is dubious that 110 is safer anyway, as "It's amps that kill, rather than volts." Not knowing much about electrics, I have no idea whether he has a point or not. Any thoughts?
It is sort of true, but nonsensical, as the Amps are linearly related to the Volts for any particular resistance. As an electrician, your friend should know better than to say such things. An AA cell is probably capable of delivering at least 2 Amps - enough to kill a horse - but you'd have a hard time electrocuting yourself.

Sawyer":1kmob982 said:
Interestingly, an electrician I know is dubious that 110 is safer anyway, as "It's amps that kill, rather than volts." Not knowing much about electrics, I have no idea whether he has a point or not. Any thoughts?

They are technically correct although (as always) it's not as clear as that - you would assume that higher volt mean more danger but this isn't necessarily so. People have certainly been electrocuted by appliances using currents of 110 volts and sometimes as little as 42 volts direct current. The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amps) forced though the body, and not the voltage.

While any amount of current over 10 milliamps (0.01 amp) is capable of producing a painful shock, i believe that it's currents between 100 and 200 mA (0.1 to 0.2 amp) that are lethal.

Considering that the body has a fixed resistance, 40,000 volts at 0.001 amps will not kill you whereas 200 volts at 1 amp will.

20mA through the heart muscle is fatal, or so I was taught.

A great deal depends on the resistance of the circuit, and which parts of the body complete it. That's why we were always taught keep one hand in one's pocket, wear no metal jewellery on hand or wrist, and, ideally, wear rubber-soled shoes.

Also it's wise (if having to work on uncertain things) to touch things with a knuckle rather than an outstretched finger, as current makes muscles contract - your knuckle would be jerked away, whereas because of the arrangements of arm and hand muscles, a finger tip would be pressed down harder. And the artery of the arm goes into the heart in a nice straightforward path...

As a general rule the higher the voltage, the more dangerous the situation is. It's daft to consider the exceptions to this, as they're insignificant. And 240V causes significant pain, too, which reduces the ability to think clearly (assuming you can still think).

"The real measure of shock's intensity lies in the amount of current (amps) forced though the body, and not the voltage. "
Except that it is the voltage which does the "forcing", See Ohm's law.

Rubber ducks = amps
Water = volts

You're standing in the Monmouthshire Brecon Canal.
Half a mile away 1000 rubber ducks are put in the water heading towards you. The ducks hit you slowly and at a rate of one a minute. Not too painful.

You're standing in the River Severn, at a narrow point about the same width as the canal. Again half a mile away 1000 rubber ducks are put in the water heading straight for you. The ducks hit you very fast and at a rate of 5 a second.. You'd soon get tired of that :lol:

Latest posts

Back