Building Bridges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to do a little bit more to my bridge last week, I’ll admit it was an especially great time. My focus are the main beams now, and I managed to get my planer that I have been restoring since March to a useable standard enabling me to run the main beams through it. The beams are very large for an outfit like us, and barely manageable with 4 men.
Rather obviously, they are a critical component of the build, carrying all 10 posts that in turn carry all the rails and lnfill work, as well as all the treads that fit directly to them.
They are 5.5 metres long, 115-120mm thick and 605mm wide. My Wadkin FM planer will thickness to a maximum width of 615, so these are absolutely on the limit.

0E1F7044-7C4D-4C62-B70C-C98A74049083.jpeg

We set my planer up in the middle of the yard, Al fresco style, for a number of reasons, main one being the uninhibited access of simply forklifting the beams in place, running them through with (relative) ease, then repeating, another reason was the extraction was of the open air variety, being green oak you don’t get dust just a really nice large shaving, so with the bridge guard removed (don’t try this at home style) the chips were allowed to fly out the gap between the beds unobstructed clearing my cut and producing a superb finish. A total of 2 passes each taking 6mm off a time achieved the results I was after, a glass smooth finish and the performance of the Wadkin exceeded all expectations, incredibly powerful the motor didn’t even change tone.
It’s worth noting this planer has a very special block, it’s a two knife set up and the knives are skewed, producing a shear cut that is a pleasure to use (imagine hand planing it’s the difference between going head on with the tool or planing at an angle) it’s the small details that make the biggest difference.

51110D68-0E87-4D7C-B6B9-88CFCD5F0A7B.jpeg

That’s one big slab of timber. We estimated in excess of 200kg’s, these were £900 each, obviously a spare isn’t in the equation so care must be taken whilst machining etc.

E46B7013-39D1-4550-8595-925E477A42A6.jpeg

above is a photo of the finished article, ready for my template to be offered up and start cutting.

F18D9F39-D923-43D3-AA44-2D705326B632.jpeg

I laid up one side of my bridge, cramped it up exactly on my rod and offered the large beam template up where it needed to be, I then cut my plumb and seat cut on it directly off the side of the bridge via the rod, this now gives me my 1:1 for the main event.

BDF0E21F-A9C7-4B67-84E6-630AF26750FF.jpeg

It’s looks a little something like this, this beam was longer than the other, I left it on though as it’ll come in for post caps, as will the huge off cuts in the middle.
I draw around this with a pencil, and need to cut it out leaving around 2-3mil for facing up. I have a Mafell portable bandsaw, which is an incredible tool that I’ll demonstrate in the next thread, but the max throat cut is around 200mm, meaning I would have to take multiple cuts into that big middle offcut to get to my line, I don’t want to do that so I rough it out with my trusty Husky, getting me to with an inch of the desired cut line, it’s then I can use the bandsaw to get a lovely cut ready for machining.

FBA6E8E0-0839-433D-8251-C98CFC5B7C99.png

Marking all the way around with a pencil ready for the chainsaw.

C474BDDD-BBA1-4861-A80D-97973BCA27AC.png

Cutting around it very roughly with the chainsaw to get my initial curve, wanting to avoid a Wallace and Gromit style scene of cutting through the trestles as well as the workpiece.
I’ll leave it there for now and do another update next week.

Scotty

Chainsaws on this page, meanwhile on another page people arguing about 0.5 of a degree for sharpening a chisel! Lovely work Scotty that thicknessing looked like a hard work at the office day - thanks for the update

I managed to do a little bit more to my bridge last week, I’ll admit it was an especially great time. My focus are the main beams now, and I managed to get my planer that I have been restoring since March to a useable standard enabling me to run the main beams through it. The beams are very large for an outfit like us, and barely manageable with 4 men.
Rather obviously, they are a critical component of the build, carrying all 10 posts that in turn carry all the rails and lnfill work, as well as all the treads that fit directly to them.
They are 5.5 metres long, 115-120mm thick and 605mm wide. My Wadkin FM planer will thickness to a maximum width of 615, so these are absolutely on the limit.

View attachment 183580

We set my planer up in the middle of the yard, Al fresco style, for a number of reasons, main one being the uninhibited access of simply forklifting the beams in place, running them through with (relative) ease, then repeating, another reason was the extraction was of the open air variety, being green oak you don’t get dust just a really nice large shaving, so with the bridge guard removed (don’t try this at home style) the chips were allowed to fly out the gap between the beds unobstructed clearing my cut and producing a superb finish. A total of 2 passes each taking 6mm off a time achieved the results I was after, a glass smooth finish and the performance of the Wadkin exceeded all expectations, incredibly powerful the motor didn’t even change tone.
It’s worth noting this planer has a very special block, it’s a two knife set up and the knives are skewed, producing a shear cut that is a pleasure to use (imagine hand planing it’s the difference between going head on with the tool or planing at an angle) it’s the small details that make the biggest difference.

View attachment 183581

That’s one big slab of timber. We estimated in excess of 200kg’s, these were £900 each, obviously a spare isn’t in the equation so care must be taken whilst machining etc.

View attachment 183582

above is a photo of the finished article, ready for my template to be offered up and start cutting.

View attachment 183583

I laid up one side of my bridge, cramped it up exactly on my rod and offered the large beam template up where it needed to be, I then cut my plumb and seat cut on it directly off the side of the bridge via the rod, this now gives me my 1:1 for the main event.

View attachment 183584

It’s looks a little something like this, this beam was longer than the other, I left it on though as it’ll come in for post caps, as will the huge off cuts in the middle.
I draw around this with a pencil, and need to cut it out leaving around 2-3mil for facing up. I have a Mafell portable bandsaw, which is an incredible tool that I’ll demonstrate in the next thread, but the max throat cut is around 200mm, meaning I would have to take multiple cuts into that big middle offcut to get to my line, I don’t want to do that so I rough it out with my trusty Husky, getting me to with an inch of the desired cut line, it’s then I can use the bandsaw to get a lovely cut ready for machining.

View attachment 183587

Marking all the way around with a pencil ready for the chainsaw.

View attachment 183588

Cutting around it very roughly with the chainsaw to get my initial curve, wanting to avoid a Wallace and Gromit style scene of cutting through the trestles as well as the workpiece.
I’ll leave it there for now and do another update next week.

Scotty
Those slabs would make a fine benchtop! :ROFLMAO:

Chainsaws on this page, meanwhile on another page people arguing about 0.5 of a degree for sharpening a chisel! Lovely work Scotty that thicknessing looked like a hard work at the office day - thanks for the update

I have seen a few of those chisel and iron sharpening threads, they look best left to the professionals is my opinion 😄.
It was a fantastic day that was, it was heavy work and around 26 degrees so we all felt it, but great fun and to be honest the days of the unknown or spectacular tend to lend themselves to be the best of days. Pleased your enjoying the work 👍

Fantastic finish from the planer. Almost a shame to have to remove so much of the board for the curves.
The planer left has left an incredible finish on the oak, being green it always machines that little bit cleaner and smoother than if it were dry, but it’s still superb even under those circumstances.
It’s the nature of the beast when it comes to solid curved work, but the offcuts will come in for the large post caps and some other bits and bobs. You shall see all that by the threads end.

Hi @ScottyT ,
Brilliant fascinating thread this. Your photography and writing clearly illustrate the pleasure / pride you have in your craft. Thank you for sharing
Fred

6mm per pass over 600mm a beast of a machine! great finish too. I have a spiral cutting head in my modest machine(no where near capable of your tasks) and it does make all the difference with the cuts, the shear and shavings are far less work on the machine! looking forward to the Mafell !

Latest posts

Back