Decking sub frame help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrunner45

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning to build a storage area behind my garage (1 metre wide by 2 metres long) with a small decked area to improve access as just uneven ground at present and maybe overhead shelter to keep the worst of the weather out.

The challenge I have is that the sub frame planned will only be supported by 2 walls with a cross brace and my concern is will it be strong enough to support me walking on occasionally, without supporting in the top left area on my sketch attached and if not strong enough any ideas of how I can add additional support?

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3110.jpeg
    IMG_3110.jpeg
    495.5 KB
  • IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    598.1 KB
  • IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    558.7 KB
Can you not put a post in the far left corner something like a fence post? Then hanger your joists into it. It will then support the roof too? Cost about £10.

Why not fix a joist just in front of the fence , a breeze block at each end and 1 in the middle laid on a little concrete pad . Ideally a 2nd joist between the fence and your house wall would illuminate any bounce between the deck boards. You could then do away with the angled brace . You could also achieve the same results using sleepers . 3 - 1 each end and 1 in the middle levelled out will give you a rock solid base for your deck boards- you could do this freestanding and simply fix the deck boards to the sleepers as long as said sleepers are firm and level imo ..

Why not fix a joist just in front of the fence , a breeze block at each end and 1 in the middle laid on a little concrete pad . Ideally a 2nd joist between the fence and your house wall would illuminate any bounce between the deck boards. You could then do away with the angled brace . You could also achieve the same results using sleepers . 3 - 1 each end and 1 in the middle levelled out will give you a rock solid base for your deck boards- you could do this freestanding and simply fix the deck boards to the sleepers as long as said sleepers are firm and level imo ..

Good idea. As long as the sleepers are the used proper oil tar/creosote ex railway sleepers. Those last for decades unmaintained.

Personally, I'd sink three cut sections of one post, cut down to appropriate size, into post holes in the left hand side, secured using postcrete. Then fix the left hand end beam/joist to those.

Latest posts

Back