Can I change a 250 whet for 200 diamond?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

I’m wondering if anyone on here has switched a 250mm whetstone grinding wheel for a 200mm cnb?
Will mostly be used for my turning chisels so not worried about the hollow grind.
Just wondering if it will work?

I guess the bore size will be different on the Axminster CBN wheels so I’ll have to get something to sort that.

Also is a 180g wheel going to give a sharp edge? Seems really course but I’m not well versed so this is a learning exercise

Thanks in advance.

CBN and diamond are not the same thing, as I found out the hard way, courtesy of Ali Express, who put CBN in the headline description, but diamond in the small print. Which do you actually have?

CBN and diamond are not the same thing, as I found out the hard way, courtesy of Ali Express, who put CBN in the headline description, but diamond in the small print. Which do you actually have?
I haven’t bought any yet. Don’t want to buy something that I won’t be able to fit into my record grinder.
How are they different?

I haven’t bought any yet. Don’t want to buy something that I won’t be able to fit into my record grinder.
How are they different?
A diamond wheel is just that diamonds bonded to the surface of the wheel or in a compound of some kind.

A CBN is Cubic Boron Nitride. Not quite as hard as a diamond but many times harder than Aluminium Oxide that most tool grinders use.

Pete

There was a recent(ish) thread titled "sharpening" if you scroll through to about post #161, you'll find the advice I was given. I'd post a link, but I can't work out how to do that from this phone...

So both harder than steel...what was the issue? I'm tempted by the cheaper option!

Switching from a 250mm to a 200mm CBN wheel should work well for your turning chisels, but you'll need to address the bore size. As for the 180g wheel, it might feel a bit coarse, but it can still deliver a sharp edge

Apparently diamond is no good for HSS, which is what a lot of turning tools are made of. You'll have to check out the thread I mentioned above. Or Google it
I still don't understand! What happens? I have an Axminster diamond wheel that turns my HSS turning tools absolutely fine?

I'm missing something here - why would the harder abrasive be a problem? I was expecting the CBN to the the issue!

How are they different?
When I bought my can wheel I had to purchase to flange nuts the bore was shaft size and outside diameter was the bore for the can wheel. All were purchased on amazon

Apparently diamond is no good for HSS, which is what a lot of turning tools are made of. You'll have to check out the thread I mentioned above. Or Google it
I don't think it's no good as such, but it will get them hot more than CBN.
I have a Parkside variable speed single wheel sander, which I have modified to take diamond lapping discs. These work a treat to put a final edge on mostly metal working lathe tools in my case, both HSS and carbide.
Just have to go gently.

Back