Boxes - Hard Wax Oil or Lacquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernSteve

New(ish) to this woodwork malarkey.
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am making some keepsake type boxes and engraving them with a CO2 Laser. I am keen to know whether a tinted hardwax oil, followed by a clear hardwax oil or a cellulose (or other) lacquer, presumably over light fast stain or water stain and a sanding sealant is the way to go. This is all a bit new to me, so any thoughts appreciated, especially considering compatibility of product on product and time/effort. I don't have a spray gun set up yet, so lacquer would need to be a rattle can or brush on. Cheers

What timber are you using Steve?

I make jewellery boxes using typically walnut, cherry, sycamore etc and find a hard wax over an oil finish is best.

My “go to” products are Peacock Oil and Alfie Shine Hardwax. It takes a bit longer to do but gives a high quality durable finish.

E10E793F-4EC9-4557-B2F5-FD7EEEE1DFE8.jpeg

Edit - when I say best I mean best for what I want - it’s all a matter of opinion!

What timber are you using Steve?

I make jewellery boxes using typically walnut, cherry, sycamore etc and find a hard wax over an oil finish is best.

My “go to” products are Peacock Oil and Alfie Shine Hardwax. It takes a bit longer to do but gives a high quality durable finish.

View attachment 185023
Edit - when I say best I mean best for what I want - it’s all a matter of opinion!

Hello and thanks for your response.
So far I have used Black Walnut, Sapele and Ash.
I found the Sapele to be brittle when trying to thickness.
I have bought in some Cherry, Maple and Poplar in small quantities, to gain some familiarity with them.
I'm guessing that the oil first approach conditions/nourishes the wood and allows the start of the coat build within the wood, rather than just on top.
The box you have made is beautiful, you should be proud of that.

I'm guessing that the oil first approach conditions/nourishes the wood and allows the start of the coat build within the wood, rather than just on top.
That’s it Steve. The Peacock oil method of application is the same as is used on gun stocks.

Don’t forget to post a picture of your end product in the “Post a picture of the last thing you made” thread!

Cheers

Back