Any Snap-on experts on here

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snap-on tools or Blue point as they were originally called are the best in the world used by all mechanics. Dealers are self employed are helped to buy a van and fitted out they then have their own area and go round garages and firms and sell the tools on a weekly round with a book and the mechanics pay £10 a week. They are made in the USA and Canada but the USA ones are the best. The sockets are rounded in the corners so the pressure is put on the flat and not the corners like other sockets you can buy the insides of the ratchets so they do last forever go to any garage and ask what day and time the Snap on Van comes and you can buy or change anything there.

I have enclose a Photo of my socket drawer all snap on and blupoint the two air ratchets one is Snap on the other is Bluepoint If anyone needs more info please ask.
Are you sure of the Blue Point being Snap-on my history of Snap-on states differently. I thought Snap-on bought Blue Point years ago.

"The Blue-Point Tool Company was established in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1925. Initially providing punches and chisels, it soon expanded to include wrenches, pliers and more. The Blue-Point name became synonymous with quality hand tools. Blue-Point and the Snap-on Wrench Company merged to become Snap-on Tools, Inc. in 1930. "

To carry on this thread I do have other snap on tools, all of which were purchased for silly money at car boots including my go to most used ratchet screwdriver which was faulty when I bought it but was swapped without questionn by a snap on rep that I happened to spot parked outside a local garage!
If I spot the rep I will show him the ratchet and see if he can shed more light on it.
Look up a Snap-On date code chart like this. The code is between the off and on on your tool.

snapon1.jpg

Measure to be sure if it's 1/4" or 9/32"

looking at the mark on the tool it appears to be a 1958 model ( same as me!!)

and the other ratchet I have is a 1990

When I worked as a mechanic, the Snap_on truck would stop by every two weeks. This was both good and bad. I collected a lot of good tools, many of which I still use quite regularly, but they cost me a pretty penny. (I won't go into the ones that grew legs and disappeared)
Although after 40 years of service, they either still operate just fine or I can get them replaced.

I bought my Elora socket set about 45 years ago. It's a metric/ AF set in a blue metal case and was in a clearance sale at £12 in a local tool shop. Since then I added various Elora metric sockets and 'inherited' my dad's similar (WW/AF) Elora set, so have a comprehensive set.

The odd Snap on spanners I have, were all recovered from under bonnets (hoods), left by previous mechanics!
As my collection as well, one thing I like about the ratchet left behind was the fine tooth positions on it, how often have you not been able to get to the next solid position due to lack of space to swing the handle far enough, very infuriating under the car.

And the screwdrivers cam out just as easily as any other, ask my wife who I lent one to so she could assemble the flat pack wardrobe. 😱

Last edited by a moderator:
Snap-on tools or Blue point as they were originally called are the best in the world used by all mechanics. Dealers are self employed are helped to buy a van and fitted out they then have their own area and go round garages and firms and sell the tools on a weekly round with a book and the mechanics pay £10 a week. They are made in the USA and Canada but the USA ones are the best. The sockets are rounded in the corners so the pressure is put on the flat and not the corners like other sockets you can buy the insides of the ratchets so they do last forever go to any garage and ask what day and time the Snap on Van comes and you can buy or change anything there.

I have enclose a Photo of my socket drawer all snap on and blupoint the two air ratchets one is Snap on the other is Bluepoint If anyone needs more info please ask.
The top ratchet in the photo was the best air ratchet I ever used, my brother has mine now.
How about some wrenches for everyone
IMG_0707 (600 x 400).jpg

But you don't speak for the universe.
They all come round evenualy I had a large factory that sold printing machine I more or less paid a bloke to buy a tool box off me they all laught at him because of the price in two years I add 40 boxes sold there, I meet plenty of die hard mechanics they would never buy snap on to dear They all come round evenualy beleave me

I think those of us that pay a premium price for tools and equipment etc do do because of the inherent quality and the lifetime guarantee. Like most things it’s a choice you make but when the cheap inferior quality tool breaks eg a spanner then it’s your knuckles that get smashed into parts of the machine or engine. Likewise how many nuts and bolts get rounded off due to the poor quality. That said I do agree their are several good quality tools already mentioned but I don’t think they have as big a presence as snap on brittool and Mac tools ..

I think those of us that pay a premium price for tools and equipment etc do do because of the inherent quality and the lifetime guarantee. Like most things it’s a choice you make but when the cheap inferior quality tool breaks eg a spanner then it’s your knuckles that get smashed into parts of the machine or engine. Likewise how many nuts and bolts get rounded off due to the poor quality. That said I do agree their are several good quality tools already mentioned but I don’t think they have as big a presence as snap on brittool and Mac tools ..
So right

I think part of it is that some DIYers don't comprehend using tools for a living and just exactly how much abuse they need to endure.
I have less expensive tools (cheap) and that's why I bought them, I know what their longevity will be. Great for occasional use but there is no way they will endure working all day, everyday. Cheap tools tend to reveal themselves quickly.
A Snap-On, or other top brands are professional tools, they need to withstand just about everything, if they fail, the user is losing money. There is a premium price but you're paying for the tool not to fail and in the event it does, it gets replaced for free.

There is a reason I can get an entire ratchet & socket set from Harbor Freight, for less than the price of a single socket from Snap-On.

I have no complaints having used Snap-On tools professionally on and off for 40+ years

I think part of it is that some DIYers don't comprehend using tools for a living and just exactly how much abuse they need to endure.
I have less expensive tools (cheap) and that's why I bought them, I know what their longevity will be. Great for occasional use but there is no way they will endure working all day, everyday. Cheap tools tend to reveal themselves quickly.
A Snap-On, or other top brands are professional tools, they need to withstand just about everything, if they fail, the user is losing money. There is a premium price but you're paying for the tool not to fail and in the event it does, it gets replaced for free.

There is a reason I can get an entire ratchet & socket set from Harbor Freight, for less than the price of a single socket from Snap-On.

I have no complaints having used Snap-On tools professionally on and off for 40+ years
Agreed it’s no different to woodworking tools or any other trade but take a basic Stanley smoothing plane that’s not that expensive but will need some work to get it ready for use, now compare it to a lie Nielsen which is out of my budget but this said they don’t offer a lifetime guarantee as far as I’m aware. There are not that many companies that offer a genuine LT G and as you have said apart from screwdriver bits and screwdrivers I’ve had multiple repairs and if it can’t be repaired it’s replaced . Can’t beat that for service ..

They do have some tools as you mentioned, that don't have a lifetime warranty, due to the nature of the tool.
I bought a tap & die set that was covered. It's been a great purchase. I've replaced quite a few taps, some of them more than once over the years. Easily covered the initial price years ago.

I watched a youtube by project farm this morning comparing 3/8" ratchets available in the USA.
Snap on did well.
Interestingly Milwaukee handled the highest torque before failure in a destructive test and a Wera wrench did surprisingly poorly.
But such tests don't tell you about subtleties such as the durability of finish, handling, thin walls aiding accessibility, etc.

Lifetime warranty is rather like taking a position on medical insurance. You can pay a whole lot for it over a lifetime and never need it, or you can put that money away and by the time you are likely to need it, you have probably saved enough to pay for quite major surgery.
If you buy insurance and never call on it, you lose.
If you save and never have have any major issues, you end up well into pocket.

All this makes me think that Snap On sounds like a fair investment for a young mechanic at the start of their career who is most likely to get value from the spend.
Or for any of us who score one at the car boot :)

Back