A wooden bandsaw ... scary ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
I saw this at the Marathon Motor Works in Nashville ...

IMG_0279 Large Large.jpeg

I have never seen a bandsaw that is made from wood before. It would have been driven by an overhead shaft ...

IMG_0283 Large Large.jpeg

I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen if the blade broke šŸ˜±

I remember back in the1970's visiting a sawmill in West Wales. As well as the main, circular saw being driven by a water wheel there was also a bandsaw, most of whose components were wood.

Wooden wheels for bandsaws were common in 'the olden days' and still are with DIY made ones- they work remarkably well (even plywood ones lol)- my grandad had a 'homemade ply' bandsaw- as in everything but the blade and motor was wood- and it was still in great cutting shape until long after he passed away (and he made it in his early 20's and (just) hit 90....)

I wish I still had a lot of his old 'home made' stuff- bicycle powered tools (the farm didn't get electricity until they had been living there a couple of decades!!!) bike bench grinder, another was a drill press- he was a real DIYer lol

My dad was offered an apprenticeship in a wood shop but decided to become a toolmaker instead. The reason when he looked around the wood shop a lot of the older chaps had bits missing. All well pre the HASAWA. Even then he worked on an overhead driven lathe where start / stop was achieved by hitting the side of the belt with your hand to knock it on or off the driven side of the driving pulley. apparently you soon learned to miss the bit of wire stuck through the belt joint.

According to 'legend' though that has never been officially acknowledged -

During WW2 the Germans in an attempt to prevent airfields being bombed, constructed mock wooden aircraft, and basically shell buildings, giving the appearance of a command center.
It was hoped the British would bomb this and not the real thing.

But, the RAF had noticed this was going on during reconnaissance flights, so knew these were all fake.

Rather than bomb them, they waited till the Germans had completed them then flew over and dropped bombs on it.

The bombs were made of wood.

https://www.forcesnews.com/feature/...fake-wooden-bombs-fake-wooden-decoy-airfields

I saw a video where the guy had a metal body band saw, but instead of a motor, there was a floor lever driving a bicycle gear hub attached to the main shaft of the lower wheel instead. Like some of the older design treadle lathes.

If we all had the time to peruse frivolous projects

I truly don't understand the point of these types of videos, MW in particular.
Of course it's possible, I don't need to see it to understand it can be done.
I think it's a well established fact that most anything made from metal can be made from wood and vise-versa.
The time (time = money) it took to build this, you could have purchased one.
Pointless waste of time, IMO

If you have the money then that's fine, but how much would a 26" band saw cost you and would you be prepared to pay that, as I can't imagine it would be cheap.?

If we all had the time to peruse frivolous projects

I truly don't understand the point of these types of videos, MW in particular.
Of course it's possible, I don't need to see it to understand it can be done.
I think it's a well established fact that most anything made from metal can be made from wood and vise-versa.
The time (time = money) it took to build this, you could have purchased one.
Pointless waste of time, IMO
I understand your point.
The other perspective is that it's made in 'hobby' time not 'work' time and so it makes sense financially. As long as it's fun to make it.
What do you think ?

If you have the money then that's fine, but how much would a 26" band saw cost you and would you be prepared to pay that, as I can't imagine it would be cheap.?
Did I not say, time equals money?
Most people can't devote a couple of weeks or a month of time to something like this. He is a content creator, he does this to get clicks, it's his job. This is not a practical build, it is frivolous as I said.

I understand your point.
The other perspective is that it's made in 'hobby' time not 'work' time and so it makes sense financially. As long as it's fun to make it.
What do you think ?
Just for fun, have at it.
I personally don't get the point of building something I know can and has already been built. It doesn't seem like fun to me.
What's next, a wooden jointer, a wooden table saw? These things already exist as the OP has shown.

Most people can't devote a couple of weeks or a month of time to something like this. He is a content creator, he does this to get clicks, it's his job. This is not a practical build, it is frivolous as I said.

Just for fun, have at it.
I personally don't get the point of building something I know can and has already been built. It doesn't seem like fun to me.
What's next, a wooden jointer, a wooden table saw? These things already exist as the OP has shown.
Extrapolating that thought process further... why do woodwork at all then? If you were to sell anything you make in your workshop it would more than likely result in an hourly rate below minimum wage. Which begs the question; why not just buy it.
šŸ™‚
Also, it's not 'just' for fun... It's importantly both fun AND a cost saving, that's the justification, the two combined.

OK, so, by implication, you have a few grand to spare if you wanted that type of machine.
Many don't, won't, , can't and just find it prohibitive cost.
Time=Money, when and only it's your income. If woodwork it's a hobby, then your argument doesn't come into question.
I can accept that you personally don't like, want or appreciate this type of video.
But not everything's done for money, especially a hobby. If that was the case no one would ever embark on a hobby.

I think that if one doesn't have the funds, but can find the time. then this is a way to have something that one otherwise could not afford . Also, one gets the enjoyment from the build. Though I would probably make it out of metal. :giggle:

OK, so, by implication, you have a few grand to spare if you wanted that type of machine.
Many don't, won't, , can't and just find it prohibitive cost.
Time=Money, when and only it's your income. If woodwork it's a hobby, then your argument doesn't come into question.
I can accept that you personally don't like, want or appreciate this type of video.
But not everything's done for money, especially a hobby. If that was the case no one would ever embark on a hobby.
Not arguing, it's just my opinion.
If this is the type of thing you find to be fun, that's great.
Oh wait, I'm repeating myself but you guys don't seem to listen.

There are many reasons, which I won't get into, why we no longer make these machines from wood. Whether or not you make it yourself, doesn't make it any more viable, if it did, we would see many more of them. as "hobbyists would be building them to save money.

Extrapolating that thought process further... why do woodwork at all then? If you were to sell anything you make in your workshop it would more than likely result in an hourly rate below minimum wage. Which begs the question; why not just buy it.
šŸ™‚
Also, it's not 'just' for fun... It's importantly both fun AND a cost saving, that's the justification, the two combined.
I'm not sure who brought up "hobby" into this conversation but;
"an hourly rate below minimum wage"
If you're a "hobby" woodworker and don't keep track of time or materials, that may be true.
If you are skilled woodworker and sell things at a premium price, that's a whole different story.

Back