A wooden bandsaw ... scary ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
I saw this at the Marathon Motor Works in Nashville ...

IMG_0279 Large Large.jpeg

I have never seen a bandsaw that is made from wood before. It would have been driven by an overhead shaft ...

IMG_0283 Large Large.jpeg

I couldn't stop thinking about what would happen if the blade broke šŸ˜±

I remember back in the1970's visiting a sawmill in West Wales. As well as the main, circular saw being driven by a water wheel there was also a bandsaw, most of whose components were wood.

Wooden wheels for bandsaws were common in 'the olden days' and still are with DIY made ones- they work remarkably well (even plywood ones lol)- my grandad had a 'homemade ply' bandsaw- as in everything but the blade and motor was wood- and it was still in great cutting shape until long after he passed away (and he made it in his early 20's and (just) hit 90....)

I wish I still had a lot of his old 'home made' stuff- bicycle powered tools (the farm didn't get electricity until they had been living there a couple of decades!!!) bike bench grinder, another was a drill press- he was a real DIYer lol

My dad was offered an apprenticeship in a wood shop but decided to become a toolmaker instead. The reason when he looked around the wood shop a lot of the older chaps had bits missing. All well pre the HASAWA. Even then he worked on an overhead driven lathe where start / stop was achieved by hitting the side of the belt with your hand to knock it on or off the driven side of the driving pulley. apparently you soon learned to miss the bit of wire stuck through the belt joint.

According to 'legend' though that has never been officially acknowledged -

During WW2 the Germans in an attempt to prevent airfields being bombed, constructed mock wooden aircraft, and basically shell buildings, giving the appearance of a command center.
It was hoped the British would bomb this and not the real thing.

But, the RAF had noticed this was going on during reconnaissance flights, so knew these were all fake.

Rather than bomb them, they waited till the Germans had completed them then flew over and dropped bombs on it.

The bombs were made of wood.

https://www.forcesnews.com/feature/...fake-wooden-bombs-fake-wooden-decoy-airfields

Latest posts

Back