A recommendation for conspiracists/people who understand things the rest of us don't

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A prime example of people arguing for the sake of arguing.

There is a flat earth theory and a spinning ball theory.

Both theories with no definitive proof of either.

Had you lived in an earlier period you could have been burned at the stake for suggesting a spinning ball nowadays you're scoffed at for promoting a flat earth, who knows what another 100 yrs will bring.

The thing I always wondered about is, what keeps the earth spinning for millions of years at a precise rate.

Anyone point me to a youtube video. :):):)
There is an implausible confidence in the capacity of science to produce conclusive answers. I, for one, have always been sceptical of:

"In the currently popular model of the Universe, 70% is thought to be dark energy, 25% dark matter and 5% normal matter"

It may be partly down to my inability to see, feel, touch, weigh the "dark". What happens if as a spacemen I crash into it - will I dent my spacecraft etc.

I don't remotely believe we have the final answer - just a theory which fits the limitations of current knowledge.

I ain't no scientist and I know people play with words, so if we are to communicate we need to agree the definitions.

If there is a theory and evidence to support that theory. It's a theory

If there's a theory and proof of that theory, then it's a fact.
Not over-keen on that.

A hypothesis, tested by repeatable experiments, published in proper journals, in other words supported by a decent weight of evidence, becomes a theory.

Eg: theory of evolution, special/general relativity.

^^ These two are so well-supported, they have become essentially fact.

BUT… Newton’s theory of gravitation, accepted as fact for centuries, has now been shown to be incomplete (by general relativity). So we’re careful when using the word “fact”. Current/prevailing theory is better.

Try not to use the word “proof”. I can ‘prove’ to you light is a wave, and also that it’s a particle. The reality needed a new theory - quantum theory, which started out as a hypothesis about black body radiation.
But, but, but, an oblate spheroid isn't a ball
Ball-oid, then? What about rugby balls? :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back