16" velco pad for disc sander?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
Velcro is like Hoover, a trademark. I say this as in my experience the genuine article is better than the clones.

These people sell every product that Velcro offer and would be able to suggest something suitable:

https://www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk/

In particular note that there are different adhesives available.

You might not get a 16" diameter circle, but if the material is available in sheet form, you just buy a square and trim to suit. I know they do a 150mm wide strip, so multiples of that might be an option.

Thanks. I did find them, and saw they sell in strip form. I guess it would be an acceptable option.

I make my own circular MDF or plywood sanding discs to the desired diameter with a dovetail recess in the rear to attach to a scroll chuck on my lathe. I cover the disc with strips of 2" wide adhesive Velcro applied side be side and trimmed to shape. You can buy it at the link below from an Essex based company that supplies it by the Metre in either hook, loop or both as desired. You'd need 8 strips side by side, but of course, not all the strips would need to be 16" long (40cms). You can do your own sums, but by my reckoning you'd need just under 3 Metres of hook only, which would be £17.89 post free:

VELCRO® HEAVY DUTY ULTRA-MATE® Self Adhesive Tape 50mm Stick On Hook Loop Strips | eBay

Not relevant to your needs, but inspired by the late Dave Springett, I occasionally turn a 'cube in a cube in a cube' and use a little sanding table in the toolpost of my lathe to sand the blank to a perfectly dimensioned and square 55mm cube on the sanding disc. I use 180mm diam (7") hook and loop discs from Toolstation which come in 120G & 400G which I've found to last well, and are cheap too, at £3.98 for a pack on ten.

https://www.toolstation.com/sanding...Pdov3FT7EHtBs_QexJBoC_NQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope that helps.

David.

Attachments

• Cube sanding.jpg
    Cube sanding.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 0
  • tool rest.jpg
    tool rest.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Cube in London Plane.jpg
    Cube in London Plane.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 0
I cover the disc with strips of 2" wide adhesive Velcro applied side be side and trimmed to shape.

Velcro also supply the same product in 100mm and 150mm wide strips. The price per square metre for these other options may be lower than the narrower version you suggest.

Back