1/4 inch router bit for mortises

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a quick question that I'm having trouble finding an answer for with a google. Want to cut a mortise with the green Bosch plunge router I just bought, which is a 1/4 inch router.

I have never used a hand router ( :eek: ).

First one I want to cut is in a 2x4 (or 47x95mm). I read that one should follow the 1/3 rule, and I want to do loose tenon, so I'm thinking I'll do 18mm slot so I can just cut a board for the loose tenon.

I understand how spiral flutes and up/down cutting works, but, as I have a 1/4 inch router, am I better off getting a straight edge non-spiral type that is wider at my desired 18mm, or should I use a smaller 1/4 inch fluted diameter bit and make multiple passes across the width. As a beginner, like. I mean, I mostly see upcut 2 flute spiral being suggested, but on 1/2 inch routers.

Cheers for replies.

I think it's a bit under powered for this task. It will tend to chew its own chips. I you wanna try then take it very slow and not to deep.

Back