Greenhouse Drying Kiln

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbuckham

Reaction score
My wife has a small glasshouse and the temperature inside is usually higher than the outside air temp, even during the winter months - at least when the sun is shining. Makes me wonder how this could be used to dry out green pen blanks. Anyone have any thoughts or tried this method?

Gary

I'll be interested in any replies too Gary, as i've
been thinking the same thing recently.
My greenhouse is empty at the moment and
there's lots of space could be used. :)

I have not tried doing this but I guess that there are a couple of problems with using a greenhouse to dry wood. Firstly, it would be very difficult to regulate the temperature. If it was too hot the wood may overheat, dry quickly and split. Secondly, air circulation. A drying kiln needs air movement to work correctly, a fan or similar. Even air dried wood still needs the air to circulate.

Having said all that, you are talking about pen blanks, small lumps of wood. I think it must be worth having a go with these as long as the temperature is controlled by sheeting or something similar.

This is only my opinion, somebody with a lot more knowledge may tell you something different.

Bob

Gary,

I believe that the simplest type of solar kiln is just a greenhouse (doing a bit of googling of solar kilns should provide you with a wealth of information). I would have thought that pen blanks would dry pretty readily though. Unless you have masses of the things, I'd be inclined to try a few in the airing cupboard or similar, i fth ewood isn't particularly prone to splitting they might come out alright.

Cheers,

Dod

[_________ ___
______________Beech
_________ ___

______________Beech__________________Poplar, Ash, Cherry, Yew, Apple

I would also do a search on solar kilns. I know of people who have used an old refrigerator and a 100 watt light bulb as another type of kiln, and a small room with a light bulb and a dehumidifyer as well. Then there is the microwave.
robo hippy

CHJ":qw6u7in6 said:
End grain of slabs are sealed with wax as are circular blanks sealed on whole of perifery.

Chas, do you use Chestnut Endsealer or molten wax? Also, do you wax the green log as soon as possible after felling or do you let it dry for a while first?

Paul, I use old/cheap candle wax normally, melted in an old meat tin.
Sometimes a liberal coating of old paint on larger logs awaiting splitting etc.

I seal the end of any cut log as soon as possible after cutting, even a few hours in summer time is long enough for splits to develope.

Same with partially dried slabs or logs that have been rounded up on the bandsaw, seal ASAP, been caught out in the past when left 'till next day for turning.

CHJ":1w9h6tl1 said:
Paul, I use old/cheap candle wax normally, melted in an old meat tin.

Chas, what's the safest way to melt the wax? I'm just a little concerned about setting light to the wax vapour. :shock:

Chas,i am only interested in storing wood in
the greenhouse over winter really.
Should i leave the window open a
bit or keep it closed? :?

kevin":2rtqhho3 said:
Chas,i am only interested in storing wood in
the greenhouse over winter really.
Should i leave the window open a
bit or keep it closed? :?

As long as the wood is loosely cocooned in plastic or an old sheet to balance the localised atmosphere I would say keep as much air movement in the greenhouse as possible.

Mine has low level vents permanently open and roof vents that open on temperature, the door is usually partly open as well.

Paul asked:
Chas, what's the safest way to melt the wax? I'm just a little concerned about setting light to the wax vapour.

I use a deep fat frier + candles from whatever cheapo shop has them cheapest. Frier ex Freecycle......speaking of which, is that you on the scrounge for hardwood on there? :lol:

Paul, I melt mine on a little belling cooker hot plate, (previously just gathering dust in he shed). just need to keep the wick down if wax gets near smoking level.

Beware of spilling wax on red rings.

Been looking for an old heavy electric frying pan for some time on the basis it would be a little safer.

Did contemplate an old fat fryer we had Scrums, but the high sides provided too much access restriction for the stuff I usually handle.

Scrums":1bo309ia said:
speaking of which, is that you on the scrounge for hardwood on there? :lol:

It might be... :whistle:

Thanks for the wax tips, CHJ and Scrums.

Latest posts

Back