Is this oak?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turkey Oak could well fit the profile, looks wise. But if this is a commercially produced item, then it is more likely to be a readily available kiln dried species. Logically, one should therefore look amongst the list of "usual suspects" Without there being any evidence of tannins, Ash would seem to be the most plausible choice.

It's no good trying to shoehorn Nick_'s wood into anything that resembles an oak of any kind.

The stuff in post #1 is not an oak, and nor is the stuff in the second set of images in post #14.

Those are images of ash, which may be either European or North American, impossible to tell from the supplied snap. Slainte.

PS. I normally avoid wood identification questions like the plague in forums because it can be difficult and can easily lead to the wrong answer, but here the identity is so obvious I decided to forego my usual reticence.

PPS. So, if we were looking at any one of scores of oak species the end grain image at post #1 would have some characteristics similar to the one below; it doesn't, therefore oaks are a non-starter. Note the very visible pale coloured medulla traversing the growth rings at ~90º in the image.

03-oak-end-grain-2.jpg

Last edited:
The smell when you cut the stuff is a giveaway Oak smells very different to Ash which i always think has a dog dung sorta smell?

I’ve changed my vote to ash, out of bright light the clear tell tale for me is image two in the second post, you can see the two tones of lighter and darker wood that is often seen in ash.

I’ve had to travel with work so wasn’t able to do the oak test, but it feels like Ash is becoming the consensus.

I appreciate everyone’s detailed responses, I’m learning a lot. Personally, I’m happy to take it as Ash, but because everyone’s been kind enough to give their thoughts, I’d be fine making a cut or doing a test if anyone is interested. I’ll be back home on Thursday.

Latest posts

Back