Yet another bodge job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I assume they could ( should ) of used hardcore to build up level , then then dry mix sharp sand / cement, I think it more luck than judgement that joists have lasted that long - I think the plywood has helped to protect joists but it sounds like they were next to fail .. if you go the decking route be wary of composite decking as it’s not as good as they make it sound .
"if you go the decking route be wary of composite decking as it’s not as good as they make it sound....."
Just out of interest, why?

Yes I think I should, it is not too bad atm but far better to prevent further problems. I have no end to end joints except at the mitred corners. Yes there is a bit of expansion movement.

On the subject of supports, I have 300mm centres and no problems even in blazing Norfolk sun (OK not this year!), but what I did do was extra support underneath where I have big pots, knowing they would be heavy.

It is MUCH hotter underfoot than wood BTW.

Yes I think I should, it is not too bad atm but far better to prevent further problems. I have no end to end joints except at the mitred corners. Yes there is a bit of expansion movement.

On the subject of supports, I have 300mm centres and no problems even in blazing Norfolk sun (OK not this year!), but what I did do was extra support underneath where I have big pots, knowing they would be heavy.

It is MUCH hotter underfoot than wood BTW.
Yes I forgot about the temp underfoot and you did well to add the extra support for the heavy pots - I love that sort of forward thinking, from memory the 300 centres is on point unlike this complete disaster I’ll be removing. Not sure what the customer is planning to replace it with atm but let’s say grey council slabs or the dreaded crazy paving would be a huge improvement..

This is super information re composite.

It's like a hidden secret that there are downsides as it's the first I've heard and all points are extremely valid.

Thanks for sharing

You’re most welcome- I was completely surprised as I assumed it was the same install process as timber but when I looked into it I was amazed. Even down to using the clips made by the manufacturer and not the universal one’s available online etc .

Back