Workbench Lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody got any thoughts on the best way to illuminate a workbench? I'm thinking along the lines of floor standing angle poise. Are LED lights worth considering and would two lamps be better than one (to cancel out shadows)?

Thanks in advance.

Depends what you are doing. Perfect solution is daylight. Preferably north as it is reasonably consistent year round. Mine is west and I get annoying shafted of afternoon / evening sun. For artificial light I have twin 5 foot delight colour temp fluorescents over mine, mounted so that by body does not create shadows. These lights are suitable for my workshop but plenty of ceiling mounted LED spots would be my preference if I had suitable ceilings. I also have an angle poise type table light that I position wherever I need it for close work (such as sharpening saw teeth).

I find a long double fluorescent best, though I have not looked into strip LEDs. I did recently upgrade from a long single fluorescent and that was worthwhile. I use a spot to illuminate the sharpening station, which is in a slight shadow.
Keith

I have some little cold cathode lights (like mini fluorescent tubes) fitted to the underneath of the shelves over my workbench - they give a nice even light without any flicker, and it's a decent approximation of daylight. Most of the workshop is then done with full size fluorescents as they seem good at reducing shadows.

LED has come on a long way now though; if I was redoing it I'd almost certainly go LED.

The strips of led lights (3m reel) are so cheap and easy.
Self adhesive. Can be cut with scissors and rejoined with clips that are dirt cheap. Control brightness and some can adjust between bright and warm white.
I've used them for a fair few things now and and they are great for the price.

I'd be interested to hear what you go with. From my own experience (mistakes) I reckon workshop lighting is often overlooked or its importance underestimated. I agree natural would be best (diffused north ideally) but in our climate it is dingy for half the year and then dark at 4pm! I find high lights not great - I mean ceiling etc - shadows just where you don't want them. The LED strips sound interesting. Basically I try to keep lights quite low say a foot or 2 above bench top. Point sources are sometimes handy, accentuating surfaces, marking out etc.
I don't feel I ever got mine right... yet.

p.s. Ollie Sparks was praising the cheap LED angle lamps from Ikea - sits on benchtop and move it at will so it is exactly where you need it. Probably gets in the way sometimes though.

Thanks for the replies.

My bench does stand under two north facing windows, the reason for my interest in lighting is the long winter evenings. I could wall mount a light between the windows and one each to either side of them. Now it's a matter of tracking down some quality lights. The local DIY supermarket cum home centre stocks mostly rubbish tools but I imagine that lights are just lights wherever you go. Am I correct in this assumption or are there some better brands out there?

It depends what you mean by better.
If you go fluorescent they are much of a muchness as you won't need anything weather proof or robust I would imagine.

One thing to consider is angle. Led, in my opinion one of the cheapest options, does usually have a narrower angle if light so the spread is less. But the same can go for halogen spots too. But they offer more maneuverability imo.

Edit: my workshop (gaeage) is soon to be swapped to all led. Cheap, low power consumption, very little heat (ideal up close) and no flicker. Great for under wall units if above your work bench. And, for those who are lazy like me, remote control.
Fir those who are energy conscious, the pir sensors are cheap for them too as the ampage is low. So if you are in and out of the shop, no need to worry about switching on/off.

What happens if you are down the back of the table saw adjusting some thing and the PIR can't see you?
Used to be a toilet at work that if you weren't quick you where sitting in the dark waiting for some one to come in so you could finish the paperwork!

Pete

Racers":gpc579fq said:
What happens if you are down the back of the table saw adjusting some thing and the PIR can't see you?
Used to be a toilet at work that if you weren't quick you where sitting in the dark waiting for some one to come in so you could finish the paperwork!

Pete
Adjust the duration? Or have it switched so it can be permanently on or on pir.

Axminster promo email today funny enough... led lamp code 101496 is reduced from £96 to £60. Still not cheap but it might suit. I installed some wide beam type leds in my kitchen recently. I'll look make up when I get the pc on later. They are designed for dispersal where less lights are installed. Been wondering about this a bit too. I wondered if you could get a pull down system to give various angles etc. Bit like those house lights you used to see above dinner tables for mood lighting. Hmm.... I'll look into it.

PC Edit: link for those kitchen lights here: https://www.downlights.co.uk/downlights ... 0-led.html ... looking back, bit pricey for a workshop but they are good.
link for axminster one here: http://www.axminster.co.uk/lightcraft-l ... tch-101496

Does anyone have any experience using daylight bulbs? http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/specia ... light-tube The so called SAD bulbs. (seasonal affective disorder things?) Might be an idea?
Just wondering if you angled 2 of these the right way (30 odd degrees or whatever each way) you could achieve a fairly shadowless bench. (My shed has a low roof, might not work in more traditional bigger buildings of course.) Excuse the pic 10 second picture!
YYI5srX.png

The plot thickens. :D

Bm101":1q93zyp0 said:
Does anyone have any experience using daylight bulbs?
A friend of mine uses them quite a bit and swears by them. Not sure how much actual light they put out though.

Another friend uses them for doing needlework. Says it's much better for seeing fine detail.

Monkey Mark":li68imlz said:
Racers":li68imlz said:

Pete
Adjust the duration? Or have it switched so it can be permanently on or on pir.

I just don't think that a PIR in a workshop is a safe thing, any less chance of being plunged into darkness with sharp tools and spinning machinery must be a good thing.

Pete

In addition to strip lights, I also have a couple of lengths of light chain across the ceiling, with two big daylight CFL lights hanging down from them on karabiners. I can hang them anywhere along the chain, at any height, for specific jobs.

Latest posts

Back