Budget hardpoint saw for carpentry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good brand of hardpoint saw? I'm building a timber-framed shed in tanalised softwood; a lot of the cuts are cross-cut but some ripping also required. (I appreciate that a multi-purpose saw is always a compromise).
Hardpoint saws are effectively a consumable item, so the normal rule of buying the best you can afford doesn't necessarily apply - I tend to go for the budget options.
I recently bought a Draper Venom saw as it was the only make on offer, thinking the quality would be good (I have loads of Draper tools for mechanic's uses and find them good value for money) but it's absolute rubbish. The teeth are sharp OK but there is very little set on it so the blade is inclined to bind (even with a candle rubbed on it) and the design of the teeth doesn't remove the cut material effectively so it quickly clogs up. It's going back on Monday!

Any suggestions?

As above, or a Bahco 244, Toolstation etc do them for under a tenner, get the 22", NOT the 20".
Been my go-to handsaw for more years than I care to remember, mostly onsite, perfectly suited to the job you're doing (y)

Not a cheap option but I like the Bahco Ergo handle system, the handle is comfy in use and the blades are easily swapped, blades are available in different sizes and tooth counts. Sounds gimmicky but it is a decent quality product, prices are all over the place though but there are often deals available.

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/Bahco-Ergo-Handsaw-System-Handle-Only-Right-Hand-Large-Grip/P16393
Thanks for the link as I'm in need of one and like that it takes different blades.

Two I've used have been good.
One is the Hultafors black coated one. I bought this in 11tpi and it is much easier to use for cross cuts, so I assume a 7tpi is likewise best for rip cuts.
The other was a borrowed Axminster own brand (predator ?) that was teflon coated and smooth because of it.

I have a Bahco, cheaper than the Ergo handle ones. It's OK but not as good as the other two.

Any recommendations for a good brand of hardpoint saw? I'm building a timber-framed shed in tanalised softwood; a lot of the cuts are cross-cut but some ripping also required. (I appreciate that a multi-purpose saw is always a compromise).
Hardpoint saws are effectively a consumable item, so the normal rule of buying the best you can afford doesn't necessarily apply - I tend to go for the budget options.
I recently bought a Draper Venom saw as it was the only make on offer, thinking the quality would be good (I have loads of Draper tools for mechanic's uses and find them good value for money) but it's absolute rubbish. The teeth are sharp OK but there is very little set on it so the blade is inclined to bind (even with a candle rubbed on it) and the design of the teeth doesn't remove the cut material effectively so it quickly clogs up. It's going back on Monday!

Any suggestions?
Used the Bahco 244P Barracuda for longer than I can remember. I would recommend it for your needs. Also as the blade is thicker than most other types there is much less chance of it sticking and whipping on you. I’ve heard of many serious hand injuries with the cheaper thinner blades saws.
enjoy your build.
Nic

Not a cheap option but I like the Bahco Ergo handle system, the handle is comfy in use and the blades are easily swapped, blades are available in different sizes and tooth counts. Sounds gimmicky but it is a decent quality product, prices are all over the place though but there are often deals available.

https://www.dm-tools.co.uk/Bahco-Ergo-Handsaw-System-Handle-Only-Right-Hand-Large-Grip/P16393
Thank you for that suggestion; I hate the disposable aspect of the hardpoint saw and the handles tend to be fairly uncomfortable on the cheaper options - this solves both of those issues.

Two I've used have been good.
One is the Hultafors black coated one. I bought this in 11tpi and it is much easier to use for cross cuts, so I assume a 7tpi is likewise best for rip cuts.
The other was a borrowed Axminster own brand (predator ?) that was teflon coated and smooth because of it.

I have a Bahco, cheaper than the Ergo handle ones. It's OK but not as good as the other two.
Thank you. Lots of votes for Bahco - I have had a 244 in the past which graduated from workshop saw to farm general use to fencing then to cutting up nail-filled old bits for firewood and stood up to it really well.
I have two of the Axminster teflon-coated (Axcaliber I think is the name) and am very impressed - not only smooth but seem to cut and remove the debris really well. I'm using the 7tpi on the current job reluctantly as it was supposed to be my 'posh' workshop saw - the treated graded timber is often a bit gritty/dirty and really takes the edge off.

Irwin xpert 550 with an interesting gap tooth pattern and a notably thick blade has been my favourite. Very good cuts and rigid even in quite thin material. I will try the ergo ones as well Doug

I go for Irwin saws usually.
Last a good while..
get a tenon saw too for fine cutting.

Irwin xpert 550 with an interesting gap tooth pattern and a notably thick blade has been my favourite. Very good cuts and rigid even in quite thin material. I will try the ergo ones as well Doug
I agree, I always tended to buy Bahco but got one of those last time I needed a new one and it's the best I've used so far.

If only they made such saws with a rip tooth. Bahco are pretty good as well. The French Stanley's are great as well(maybe no longer available)
C75 is quite high carbon. The thinnest saw I've got is a Japanese z saw dozuki. It's cuts incredibly in pine but is hard to steer if you go off. I prefer the slightly thicker coarser types.

One is the Hultafors black coated one

I've never been a fan of coated blades, I found they don't seem to feel as sharp when new as the uncoated ones, maybe things have changed and I should give them another try.

I've never been a fan of coated blades, I found they don't seem to feel as sharp when new as the uncoated ones, maybe things have changed and I should give them another try.
The hultafors generally sell for low £30s. Not at all the cheapest disposables. Replacement blades are available.
Blade is a bit thicker / stiffer and the coating is better than the cheaper Bahco.
I think the reasons that I like it are a good grip, stiffness and the higher tpi.
Bought to be thrown in the car for trips to the timber merchant, I was surprised how well it worked for me. I'm not a fan of hand sawing and realised that fighting cheap saws was probably why.

The coating on the Axminsters really impressed.

Like others, I'll be watching out for an Ergo.

Back