Table saw or bandsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pidgeonpost

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently acquired a small lathe I'm finding my 16'x8' workshop a bit cramped. If you had to choose between a table saw and a bandsaw which would you choose? I have a planer and thicknesser and all the usual hand tools.

+1 for bandsaw. For general woodworking, more versatile if less accurate. However you have the means of achieving accuracy with your P & T which you would probably be using after a table saw anyway.
Brian

Bandsaw every time without question. Far more versatile and in my opinion safer in that there is no danger of kickback. Last year I upgraded my bandsaw to a Sabre 450 and bought an iTech table saw as well. I'm wishing I hadn't bothered with the table saw; it required a good deal of fettling to get it set up accurately, I hardly ever use it, and the gruesome pictures of table saw accidents posted on this forum have frankly frightened me off using it!

If you have room for a table saw then that would be my choice. I'm assuming you want to make furniture and not just turn wood exclusively.
A table saw will rip solid wood accurately, will crosscut accurately and process sheet goods. You can change the blades for optimum performance. For cutting up tree trunks and curved cuts then nothing of course beats a bandsaw. In time you will probably end up with both. :rolleyes:
Save your money for a quality table saw with a trunnion and belt drive. If you can find a saw with an interchangeable 5/8"/ 30 mm arbour go for it as it will open your eyes to lots of useful tooling made for the American market.

Last edited:
Band saw is ideal for tight small shops and very versatile but a table saw is a plus if you have the room. I have both in a medium size shop and they are well used.
The need for machinery is purpose driven if no need for a table saw then it's not needed.

Your finding your space small...... my workshop was an 8*6 shed
I had to set up for each project
Even now that I have a garage the only space is the last 5ft so still cramped.
I vote for table saw

As above bandsaw and minimum of a 14" one with a good depth of cut.
Depth of cut for a turner is probably more important that width(throat)

Plus the good thing is it doesnt take up anywhere near the footprint of a table saw, which in a small workshop is an important requirement.

I've got an Ax cast table saw with its side extension and sliding table, and im looking to get shot of that and replace it with a much bigger bandsaw and a contractor type table saw(will be the new sawstop one) i can store against a wall.

Totally agree with the above. I will just add that for deep cuts power is important so the more the better. 1500w would be nice for what you want. Some turning blanks plus other ripping. Turning blanks dont need to be round just cut off the corners for an 8 sided blank. If you do cut circular blanks then that blade will soon be no good for strait ripping. Sure you can run a few blades but how often do you want to be changing blades.
Regards
John

I have a table saw and love it, use it all the time. I'd love a band saw but, don't really have the space. An entry level one has limited cut height 8 cm ish). I'd also be concerned that a "cheap" one wouldn't do what I want very well. One of the things I like about wood work is that there's usually a way do do what you want using what you have. It may not be the best solution when compared to a dedicated tool. If you're looking to laminate lots of bits of wood together for turning, I'd have thought a table saw would be good.

I think the band saw and table saw accomplish different tasks. Like mentioned above, you cannot trim bowl blanks on a table saw. You cannot cut finger joints on a band saw. Also, a table saw will give a much better, smoother cut. The table saw is much more versatile, you can cut, finger joints, joint a board after planning, make tapered cuts, and of course rip and cross cut all day. And, a table saw blade won't wander like a band saw. I have both and they each have their specific use.

Your finding your space small...... my workshop was an 8*6 shed
I had to set up for each project
Even now that I have a garage the only space is the last 5ft so still cramped.
I vote for table saw
Been there, know what you mean. In fairness, my space doubles for other domestic and DIY storage. Even so I have to drag machinery to the middle of the space to use it and hook up dust extractor. Setup/takedown can be frustrating. :)

Thanks for all your replies people. I do already have a table saw, and have a love/hate relationship with it, but I've been watching a few online woodturning videos to try and refresh my aged brain and of course many turners have a bandsaw. I think for the time being I'll hang fire, keep the table saw and buy a few blanks. At present I'm revisiting the slightly scary world of skew chisels and catches. :eek:

Most turners do use a bandsaw but mainly for roughing out blanks, which can be done by other methods.
It really depends on what you're main interest is and your method of work.

Thanks for all your replies people. I do already have a table saw, and have a love/hate relationship with it, but I've been watching a few online woodturning videos to try and refresh my aged brain and of course many turners have a bandsaw. I think for the time being I'll hWipe the too;s down with WD40 ang fire, keep the table saw and buy a few blanks. At present I'm revisiting the slightly scary world of skew chisels and catches.
If you are getting back into turning you might consider a battery powered chainsaw. You can cut firewood blanks to size more or less and practice. There is a world of difference between turning green wood and seasoned and you don't want to turn £30 blanks into sawdust too readily. Wipe the tools down with WD40 afterwards. :giggle:

Back