Workbench Build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once all the tops were glued up things got a little too snug and no amount of malleting could seat them. So the tops had to come off, and some fanangling of the joints ensued. With each top weighing 40kg and the legs at 7kg (ish) it’s bloody exhausting taking it apart, adjusting, and test fitting again. But after a little while all the joints seemed good and after rebuilding the frame the tops slid on lovely.

IMG_4927.jpeg

If I were to redesign the bench I’d not have the legs as through mortises, but hey ho! I cut one down and planed it flush to see how hard this was. Thankfully the sycamore is easy to work and it looks like it will be ok.

IMG_4928.jpeg

I also pondered all the remaining jobs and think I have a plan to work through to complete it. I’m targeting end of the year for the 101 remaining tasks.

IMG_4929.jpeg

I may or may not fix the cock-up on the back right corner, don’t ask!

Fitz

Looking good, I agree about the through tenons, can’t imagine why they ever did it that way to start with, but they were French.
What is the purpose of the wide gap up the middle? Mine will have one but only an inch for a planing stick.
"No it’s not a mistake I was going to have a shoulder vice but decided against it" or you could add a bit and create a notch, all the fashion over the pond on old Roman style benches.
Ian

I’ve always planned a leg vice on the bench, having installed one on my temporary (5yrs old now) bench and fallen in love with it. I’d hung my nose over the benchcrafted hardware but just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much money. I also decided I wanted a wooden screw.

The main wooden screw options are a Lake Erie or a Veritas, neither of which seem to be available in the UK. I surfed the interweb for a while and bumped into a few options available in the USA. Luckily I have a team member in the US and a colleague who had a trip. So a mail drop and tool mule were arranged and a rather lovely vice screw is mine.

The original bench plan was sycamore throughout but it’s all looking a bit same same. I’ve had a piece of waney elm in the shop for a while but never thought it long enough to use for the vice chop, on the weekend I figured it was probably ok.

Final decision was on a pin board or a cross cross type mechanism. Again £150 on the benchcrafed cross cross was too rich for me and I’ve order some steel to make my own. A problem for future me to see if he can solve.

The workmanship on the vice screw, bar, ,garter, and nut is impeccable.
IMG_4947.jpeg

IMG_4948.jpeg

IMG_4949.jpeg

IMG_4950.jpeg

IMG_4951.jpeg

How do you make such a perfect thread!
IMG_4952.jpeg

The vice chop is a piece of burry elm, one big cavity and the burrs were all black epoxy filled.
IMG_4953.jpeg

Fitz

Attachments

• IMG_4954.jpeg
    IMG_4954.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4955.jpeg
    IMG_4955.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 0
I’m jealous of that thread! I’m just planning to make my own, even though I’m in the States myself. What make is it please? I may change my mind, especially after seeing yours!
I’ve designed a quick release (top and bottom) for my leg vice- quite a departure from the standard one. Should work but only one way to find out!
Ian

I’m jealous of that thread! I’m just planning to make my own, even though I’m in the States myself. What make is it please? I may change my mind, especially after seeing yours!
I’ve designed a quick release (top and bottom) for my leg vice- quite a departure from the standard one. Should work but only one way to find out!
Ian
It was from an individual maker, bought on eBay from seller cobiecat, also on Etsy under GreenRiverDesign.

Back