woodmizer sawmill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine asked me to help him saw some wood one day,he gave me a truck load of carving wood for the help,,,,It was that mill and we sawed all day ,well 9 hrs.Made quite a few piles of various wood....it was nice to see it in real life working.

Think you need to process quite a lot to make it worth getting the mill out. Under a certain amount it starts to be cheaper taking the timber to the mill or doubling up with someone nearby who needs to fell as well

milkman":3g0iclq8 said:
Think you need to process quite a lot to make it worth getting the mill out. Under a certain amount it starts to be cheaper taking the timber to the mill or doubling up with someone nearby who needs to fell as well

I thought that the idea was that it's a damn sight easier to take the mill to site rather than going through the cost and hassle of loading and transporting a 20ft. long 8ft. diameter butt to a sawmill.

There was an article about this in one of the mags a year or two back - I'll see if I can look it out.

Woodmizer hire tends to come as a package with an operator/owner and they are generally looking for a days work or more correctly a days earnings.
Calling them in for a small job tends to work out expensive hence the need to bundle up the work to keeps the cost per cube down.

Bob

This looks like a gloat to me. Remember it didn't happen without photos.

Blister":26lii8oq said:
Hi

Anyone ever seen or hired one of these ?

Anyone ever thought of hieing one or has some trees they need processing

:p :wink:

What's that? A WoodWizer?? ;)

I researched getting a mobile sawmill out for a local guy who'd had a couple of trees felled. TreeSpanner was going to charge him about £3-400 IIRC. I passed on the contact and forgot about it. I believe he ended up doing what people here have advised. Felled a few more trees and got the whole lot done in one hit.

I do wonder how much business a mobile sawmill gets. Blister, I can tell you that we don't have one local. Maidstone being the nearest I could find. None in NW Kent or Essex. That I could find anyway. The trick would be to get in with the tree surgeons and convince them to throw business your way. But you'd in turn have to convince the tree owner to let you come and plank on their site. Tree surgeons don't often have the equipment to carry away full trunks.

The place where I get my green oak have a large static woodmizer as well as a mobile, they generally are out cutting 2-3 days a week with the mobile in the autumn and winter. Their rate is about the same as Chas at Treespanner. Chas used to have access to a Unimog with Hi-ab which was handy for taking large butts back to his mill but he can't offer that service anymore

If you do need one a bit closer then Scott Timber just opposite Heaver Castle are a little bit closer, his site is down at the moment but details here as well as several others.

Jason

If you only have one tree why not buy an Alaskan Sawmill.....Chain saw goes on it one man operation,plank out whatever size planks you want...
Although the Woodmizer does come right to your tree picks it up and planks it on site you just have to pickup the sawdust.But if you put plastic down it will help clean up time.

Grinding One":1z8kta96 said:
If you only have one tree why not buy an Alaskan Sawmill.....Chain saw goes on it one man operation,plank out whatever size planks you want...
Although the Woodmizer does come right to your tree picks it up and planks it on site...

For an Alaskan mill you may need to upgrade your chainsaw to suit the diameter of your logs (or upgarde your bar & chain) and possibly consider purchasing a ripping chain to stem the boredom of long cuts. Also, an AM is very wasteful due to the large kerf of the chain - the volume of sawdust generated is overwhelming. I got fed up with this and have instead found a friendly local sawmill to collect, plank and return the timber, although they've yet to follow through on their promise!

Cheers,
C

The Alaskan mill is a lot cheaper to buy tho,my 30 inch bar does just fine for me,but I do know a guy with a Woodmizer mill,they only cost 20,000.00....there is cheaper models of it but you get more manuel labor with the cheaper models.

Latest posts

Back