Winter Fuel Payments (again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
As we all know only those on benefits will get a winter fuel payment

Surely there cannot be anyone who does not know this?

So why are they wasting tax payers money on sending a letter to everyone who is *not* getting it?

I can understand them sending a letter to those who *will* get it (although even that seems rather pointless)

A quick google suggests there are 12.6 million of pensionable age, I have no idea what rates the DWP get from the post office for mass mailing but a second stamp is .85p, now, with paper, printing, an envelope and means to produce the letter, lets say .50p a letter

So 6.3 million pounds of tax payers money for nothing

Where is the sense in that?

As we all know only those on benefits will get a winter fuel payment

Surely there cannot be anyone who does not know this?

So why are they wasting tax payers money on sending a letter to everyone who is *not* getting it?

I can understand them sending a letter to those who *will* get it (although even that seems rather pointless)

A quick google suggests there are 12.6 million of pensionable age, I have no idea what rates the DWP get from the post office for mass mailing but a second stamp is .85p, now, with paper, printing, an envelope and means to produce the letter, lets say .50p a letter

Where is the sense in that?
I expect they have to let everybody know

The government data showed that at least 880,000 of the elegible bracket were not in receipt of the Credits.
Not everyone - particularly the elderly - is as plugged in as those "on a forum", etc, so I personally believe, quite strongly, that it's a good thing that the extra effort is being invested to capture all of those elegible for the payments.

The government data showed that at least 880,000 of the elegible bracket were not in receipt of the Credits.
Not everyone - particularly the elderly - is as plugged in as those "on a forum", etc, so I personally believe, quite strongly, that it's a good thing that the extra effort is being invested to capture all of those elegible for the payments.

Sorry but thats rubbish, its been in every newspaper, every social media outlet, every TV station and more besides, I doubt there is anyone who does not know but even if it was the case of informing those eligible, why inform those who are not, they already know

Yes.
I already knew.
So did my wife.
But it has been confirmed to us.
Separately.
In two envelopes....
So you are both listed separately on the database

Do you know how it would be possible to resolve that at a cost cheaper than just sending out 2?

I know its frustrating but these things arent that easy

Likewise, total waste of money (our money)
I expect they have to formally let everybody know -it might be a legal requirement if benefits are changing

would you expect the govt to not bother telling people?

Im not sure you can just rely on assuming everybody would know from the media

I know it might seem like wasted money, but Im not sure there is an easy answer

I bet if they hadnt done it, people would be moaning about that

Nothing like that. Do you think they go to Smiths and buy Basildon Bond in 10s ?
A quick Google suggest you can get a commercial mail shot of a million envelopes for less than £30k http://rapid-envelopes.co.uk/envelopes/
DWP will be paying even less.

Nothing like that. Do you think they go to Smiths and buy Basildon Bond in 10s ?
A quick Google suggest you can get a commercial mail shot of a million envelopes for less than £30k http://rapid-envelopes.co.uk/envelopes/
DWP will be paying even less.
in that case its loose change in government terms

Although I can appreciate why people moan about it -I always get frustrated by the way the NHS system does everything by letter

Latest posts

Back