Keir Starmer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I clearly stated that the only ones that are illegal are the ones that don’t apply for asylum and the ones that abscond once they have been refused asylum.
I am pleased that you agree that 93% of those arriving by small boats are here legally

May I ask why you are so focused on the 7%? which is 2060 people

to put it into context:
in 2023 there was net migration of 685,000
in 2023 there were around 800,000 people who had overstayed their visas

sure we can clear that up. lets look at the data

in 2023 there were 1 140 000 people that applied for asylum in the EU
in 2023 there were 29,437 people that arrived in the UK by small boats and 67,337 asylum applications

so the UK received around 5.9% of the total.

So you answer to your question: "why are all these asylum seekers struggling so hard to reach the UK?"
Is this: They arent (or at least 94% of them arent.

The question you should be really asking yourself is why does the UK have a much lower standard of living compared to every equivalent country in EU and the answer is our domestic politics over the last 40+ years. So why is everybody focusing on people in small boats?
The problem will soon be resolved.

Starmer and Yvette Cooper are going to 'smash the gangs' so there won't be any more boats.

I know it's true - they told us so.

The problem will soon be resolved.

Starmer and Yvette Cooper are going to 'smash the gangs' so there won't be any more boats.

I know it's true - they told us so.
I dont remember them stating "there wont be anymore boats"

Please could you explain how the UK government can stop people leaving France in small boats?

I wonder why are people so focused on people arriving by small boats............the structural problems in this country are not due to migrants, they are due to decades of domestic political policy failures (we should be asking why during the years of austerity did the rich increase their wealth so much)

I think I can hazard a guess:

Collage-of-a-number-of-front-pages-of-Daily-Mail-Daily-Express-and-The-Star-between.png

And what really gets my goat is people who are so keen to take these foreigners in to our country, we don't know who they are and what there intentions are .if you are so keen how many would like round your house for Christmas dinner. We do not need them,end of.

And what really gets my goat is people who are so keen to take these foreigners in to our country
I am not sure what you mean

when you say people are "so keen to take these foreigners into our country"

I just wonder who these keen people are, could you elaborate

we don't know who they are and what there intentions are
Most of them come from countries suffering war or persecution, the main nationalities are:

Afghanistan
Iran
Iraq
Syria
Eritrea
Yemen

judging by the results of asylum processing most of them are genuine asylum seekers

if you are so keen how many would like round your house for Christmas dinner
I am not sure the logic of this, clearly displaced people are an international crisis which needs to be resolved by governments not individials

We do not need them,end of
If you dont want them coming to the the UK, which country do you think should take more?

Or do you have a solution to the problem of war and persecution causing displacement of people?

When did the war in France actually start, seems to have been kept quiet because that is the country these migrants are fleeing from which is actually a safe haven so they have no need to look at the UK just because they see it as richer pickings and we should be able to just send them back. Our current problem is that we have zero detterents and they all know that the gangs will never be stopped because this government will only use a Ken Dodd tickling stick as a detterent rather than a shot across there bow.

I wonder why are people so focused on people arriving by small boats
Because of the issues in the UK with housing, Doctors, Dentist and the rest. The system does not need any more stretching beyond breaking point by hanging deadweights on it. If you won a competition and the prize was a choice between twenty cheap and cheerful tools or just one quality tool then you pick the quality as the twenty tools just take up space in your workshop without much use.

I dont understand why a thread about British politics is entirely focused on migrants......especially people arriving by small boats which is a tiny % of overall numbers

migrants havent caused the problems in this country, our problems are caused by domestic politics..........so thats what we should be focused on

migrants havent caused the problems in this country, our problems are caused by domestic politics..........so thats what we should be focused on
Fully agree but our problems will be better resolved by only allowing skilled workers who speak English to be given the right to live here, ie people who can contribute to the Uk by bringing a skill that we are in need of and not requiring expensive interpreters to communicate.

When did the war in France actually start,
I am sorry I dont understand what relevance that has

Some of them want to come to the UK, nothing to do with whether France is a safe country or not

If you dont want them here, why should France take more??

just because they see it as richer pickings
Do you have evidence of that?

this is a common argument, but we are not more generous than other EU countries

Because of the issues in the UK with housing, Doctors, Dentist and the rest
all of those issues are caused by decades of domestic politics

The system does not need any more stretching beyond breaking point by hanging deadweights on it.
the dead weights on our system are the elderly

the people arriving by small boat are mostly fit young men

If you won a competition and the prize was a choice between twenty cheap and cheerful tools or just one quality tool then you pick the quality as the twenty tools just take up space in your workshop without much use.
well the people arriving by small boat are a tiny number compared to the net migration that arrive on a work visa, so you must be referring to them

which of these people arriving with a visa do you think are deadweights?

1) foreign students who pay very heavily for university places

2) nurses who work in the NHS or care sector looking after out elderly

3)manual workers who pick our fruit and veg, deliver our internet purchases, work in meat processing factories or other jobs which British people wont do

4) workers who dont mind the lowish pay and unsocial hours of the hospitality sector

Which of these deadweights dont you want here??

Fully agree but our problems will be better resolved by only allowing skilled workers who speak English to be given the right to live here, ie people who can contribute to the Uk by bringing a skill that we are in need of and not requiring expensive interpreters to communicate.
no our problems will not be solved by any immigration policy, you are looking at the wrong problem

Migrants are not the problem
British domestic politics is the problem, its been the problem for 40+ years

why is everybody so obsessed with migrants?
maybe its because the politicians who caused these problems want us to blame somebody else............

skilled workers who speak English to be given the right to live here, ie people who can contribute to the Uk by bringing a skill that we are in need of

Please could you state whether you are referring to asylum seekers coming by small boats or those coming work or student visas

I ask because those coming here on a work visa do contribute to the UK, we need their skills because we have a shortage

If you want an economy that doesnt need migrant workers then we need to change our education and our economy

Most of them come from countries suffering war or persecution, the main nationalities are:

Afghanistan
Iran
Iraq
Syria
Eritrea
Yemen
Not true.

From the website you referenced earlier. 12% are Albanians. Last time I looked there wasn't any persecution of Albanians. Or a war.

Screenshot 2024-10-22 at 16.12.58.png

Does anyone think that it might be odd that the largest source is a country that we think is a supporter of terrorism, the next two are countries we have been at war with over terrorism and we are letting them flood into the country.

Not true.

From the website you referenced earlier. 12% are Albanians. Last time I looked there wasn't any persecution of Albanians. Or a war.

View attachment 190837

I didnt include Albanians because it was a short term blip for about 3 months

so they arent really relevant, it was a short term problem, it got sorted, they arent coming here now by small boat...........but the right love to keep talking about them despite the fact it was over a year ago

we are letting them flood into the country
we most certainly are not "letting them flood into the country"

Does anyone think that it might be odd that the largest source is a country that we think is a supporter of terrorism
it is well know that the Irans leaders persecute their citizens

so its no surprise they leave

I dont remember them stating "there wont be anymore boats"

Please could you explain how the UK government can stop people leaving France in small boats?

I wonder why are people so focused on people arriving by small boats............the structural problems in this country are not due to migrants, they are due to decades of domestic political policy failures (we should be asking why during the years of austerity did the rich increase their wealth so much)

I think I can hazard a guess:

Collage-of-a-number-of-front-pages-of-Daily-Mail-Daily-Express-and-The-Star-between.png
The best estimates are that illegal immigrants cost the UK ~£4bn pa. It is not trivial.

Eliminating this would be a greater economic benefit than adding VAT to private school fees, plus winter fuel allowance and a good part of any benefit is likely to arise on changes to non-dom rules. There are choices.

Starmer has made no explicit promises about how much illegal migration will fall through creation of the Border Security Command, nor a new security agreement with EU. I doubt whether anything will be delivered - words (bu11sh17) speaking louder than actions!

Stopping small boats leaving France relies upon:
  • effective action by the French who have no interest in preventing them leaving
  • eliminating incentives for asylum seekers to even try to cross the channel
In practice most who arrive in the UK and claim asylum stay here - the number of returns in 2023 was 6000 ( including a large number of Albanians) - once here they are likely to stay.

Legal immigration is no issue. We should be supportive of genuine asylum claims. Resistance to illegal immigration is not a demonstration of general racism or bigotry. Borders exist to protect those living within them. Failure to control them will ultimately threaten all.

Last edited:
Eliminating this would be a greater economic benefit than adding VAT to private school fees, plus winter fuel allowance and a good part of any benefit is likely to arise on changes to non-dom rules. There are choices.

stopping people coming here by boat is a not a political choice..........you seem to think it is

Starmer has made no explicit promises about how much illegal migration will fall through creation of the Border Security Command, nor a new security agreement with EU
Sunak make no explicit promises about how much illegal immigration would fall through the phoney Rwanda scheme

Stopping small boats leaving France relies upon:
  • effective action by the French who have no interest in preventing them leaving
  • eliminating incentives for asylum seekers to even try to cross the channel

France is never going to have any interest in preventing them leaving, why would they

"eliminating incentives" .............not sure what that looks like

We should be supportive of genuine asylum claims.
most of them arriving by small boat are genuine asylum claims

Resistance to illegal immigration is not a demonstration of general racism or bigotry.
you mean resistance to people arriving by small boat and claiming asylum, they arent illegal immigrants

people who believe all the problems in this country are caused by asylum seekers or immigrants are bigots

I agree that resistance to immigration is not a demonstration of racism, but I bet 100% of racists dont want any immigrants coming here, just like racists all voted for brexit and 100% of racists voted for Reform

Latest posts

Back