wing nuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maynot be appropriate but I make this sort for my jigs etc.
Ian

Attachments

• 372CA2F2-2699-466E-A1C6-D891A69D40C3.jpeg
    372CA2F2-2699-466E-A1C6-D891A69D40C3.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • AC3AC2F8-0805-47F6-8767-537D82145665.jpeg
    AC3AC2F8-0805-47F6-8767-537D82145665.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Tried looking at drum (the musical instrument) hardware? M8 wing nuts and bolts are quite common.

Another place to look is marine chandlers as there are a few options in stainless that tend to be bigger than a standard wing nut. eBay direct from China is an economic source.

I like the shape and design of the wing nuts off old bicycle wheels, so buy them when I see them. It is easy enough to convert the thread to someting more modern.

As above, 'butterfly nut' is an alternative search term.

I made a few thumbscrews/wing nuts for some marking gauges the other day, these are the rejects.
Surprisingly strong, at least I can't break them by hand, would need some serious torque to split/break them.
Figured out tapping a thread didn't work, nigh on impossible to get the tap to run true, so the 10mm (Walnut) one's I just pre-drilled @ 3/8" (9.525mm) then chucked up the 10mm threaded rod in a cordless drill, bit of CA on the end, then inserted, lovely snug fit.

Thumbscrews.jpg

Last edited:
I made a few thumbscrews...

I am wondering if you have included an incorrect photograph by mistake.

This thread is entitled "wing nuts". The text below the thread title says "extra large/long 8mm wing nuts". Later on, the OP says "it needs to up and down a thread".

I am failing to see how the items pictured meet those criteria. To my simple mind, a nut has a female thread, not a male thread. Please explain. Thanks.

I made a few thumbscrews for some marking gauges the other day, these are the rejects.
Surprisingly strong, at least I can't break them by hand, would need some serious torque to split/break them.
Figured out tapping a thread didn't work, nigh on impossible to get the tap to run true, so the 10mm (Walnut) one's I just pre-drilled @ 3/8" (9.525mm) then chucked up the 10mm threaded rod in a cordless drill, bit of CA on the end, then inserted, lovely snug fit.

View attachment 184602
Those look so much better than my quick lashups made from a coach bolt and ply.
Ian

I am wondering if you have included an incorrect photograph by mistake.

This thread is entitled "wing nuts". The text below the thread title says "extra large/long 8mm wing nuts".
I made a few thumbscrews/wing nuts for some marking gauges the other day,

Better?

Later on, the OP says "it needs to up and down a thread".

Which I think you'll agree, isn't particularly descriptive as to the usage.

Either way, my post and the pic were merely offering a suggestion, or possible adaptation thereof, if it doesn't meet the OP's criteria, then fair enough.

A wing nut - "it needs to up and down a thread". (as opposed to to onto a stud.)

How else should I have put it? :LOL:

(your post was fine, though, a little off tack but ideas are always welcome.)

Back