Why you need a full length well in your work bench.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I recently sold my bench it was a tad over 1mm - i.e. no well but the top had moved in the intervening 13y since it was built.... :)
Disgraceful workmanship, I hope you pointed out that major defect to the buyer. :LOL::LOL:

Haha!
Within a few years it started to move laterally and although I'd catered for that with breadboard ends a particularly wild grained piece near the front had opened up quite a bit - maybe 2+mm, no doubt stresses from the bench dogs didn't help, so I routed out a strip along its length and machined up an infill piece.... 2 months later the timber opened up again and I thought FFS why bother, just live with it!!
It was only when I came to sell it last month that I took some 2m levels and measured its overall deflection - pipper-all along its ~2m length and only a tad over 1mm across its depth!
I've no doubt that the level of humidity in my workshop over the years had helped - after purchasing the immensely heavy Dankeart spindle moulder off of Wallace ( late of this parish ) did I construct a metalwork bench to make a cradle for it to enable me to move it about single handed, and that bench some 11y later and unpainted in its life was rust free -

Attachments

• 20240710_181509.jpg
    20240710_181509.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I have the hobby version of the work bench @4ft long and 2ft 6 inches wide with well.
When my late wife bought it I was working in an 8*6 shed it has acquired a patina over the years from the constant application of linseed oil ... plus one or two long groves from a mis calc on cut depth of circle saw

That's the whole idea. Better in the well rather than on the worktop. And they are where you need them e.g. tape measure, pencils, chisels etc.
Small stuff like pencils, tape and even block plane goes quite happily in your apron pocket.( wear a nail bag round at my back for small stuff, as at your back it doesnt bunch up and empty the contents on the floor when you squat down

It does have merit, as nobody wants a freshly sharpened chisel to roll off the bench(*buttered toast/cat analogy) as the chisel will always land blade tip first.
But more often than not its more a hindrance than a help.

On the subject of pockets:
I have nail pockets and cargo pockets and pencil pockets in my work trousers - I don't carry a tool bag anymore, just fill my pockets! Would be a bit different if I had to carry anything sharp though. Nail pockets are particularly useful, and I can stuff several screwdrivers and nut spinners about my person easily.

I think when my long narrow bench is finally finished (when I have space!) I'll give it a well at the back - hence my earlier question.

Something I've found useful in the past is a groove at the front to catch small round things...

Jacob is bang on the money, though for a different reason to me. A bench well is absolutely essential on any half-respectable bench:

IMG_3341.jpeg

Mine accumulates a vast amount of clutter, mainly bits of wood that might be useful, but it's all to do with the current job. If it's in the bench well, it's away from the bench top which is then clear for working. My Ax 'operating theatre' lights also sit in the well and run along it on blocks. Small items (hinges, Krenov catches, screws etc) which would be in danger of getting swept onto the floor and lost forever are kept safely in a 'baccy tin, shown opened. My mallet, pencil pot and KG V drill tin sit in there as well but the huge advantage of my bench well is that the bottom is removable, which means I can get a large cramp(s) onto a job from both sides. It's a winner whichever way you care to slice it - Rob

Jacob is bang on the money, though for a different reason to me. A bench well is absolutely essential on any half-respectable bench:

View attachment 186639

Mine accumulates a vast amount of clutter, mainly bits of wood that might be useful, but it's all to do with the current job. If it's in the bench well, it's away from the bench top which is then clear for working. My Ax 'operating theatre' lights also sit in the well and run along it on blocks. Small items (hinges, Krenov catches, screws etc) which would be in danger of getting swept onto the floor and lost forever are kept safely in a 'baccy tin, shown opened. My mallet, pencil pot and KG V drill tin sit in there as well but the huge advantage of my bench well is that the bottom is removable, which means I can get a large cramp(s) onto a job from both sides. It's a winner whichever way you care to slice it - Rob
Which half is respectable? Is it the half with the well?

Actually looks fully respectable to me

I won't resist, since it's apparently futile! Particularly like the extra rails for the lights to slide under. Nicking that idea...

I won't resist, since it's apparently futile! Particularly like the extra rails for the lights to slide under. Nicking that idea...
My now very grown up No.1 son was a huge Trekie back in the day! I just need to unscrew that rail, hoik out the light(s) as required as well as all the other stuff and the bench well and the ply bases lift out in two parts - Rob

Last edited:
Straw poll for the well-users: how deep is it?
About 2". Not deep enough for a plane but good for t'other stuff.
The bottom board lifts out if required, which is quite useful for some purposes - can clamp things in different ways etc.
I think of it as a vastly improved version of the MFT.
Basically this design but with a deeper well:
Screenshot 2024-08-26 at 18.38.17.png

About 2". Not deep enough for a plane but good for t'other stuff.
The bottom board lifts out if required, which is quite useful for some purposes - can clamp things in different ways etc.
I think of it as a vastly improved version of the MFT.
Basically this design but with a deeper well:
View attachment 186876
That looks almost exactly like mine, and I can lift out a board in the well for clamping. I even have that drawer. Mine was pretty much all made out of left-overs from building my shed.
I only wish I could keep it clear of all the cr@p..

That looks almost exactly like mine, and I can lift out a board in the well for clamping. I even have that drawer. Mine was pretty much all made out of left-overs from building my shed.
I only wish I could keep it clear of all the cr@p..
But it's for holding all the rubbish when you are on the job, instead of having it getting in the way on the bench top!
Also it's much easier to maintain it as a flat bench when you only have to plane the front beam and the back apron upstand, to get them in line.

Latest posts

Back