Which finish for wooden salad bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cally60

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning to turn a salad bowl. Most likely English Walnut, but might be Spalted Beech, as I have a suitable stock of both.
I’m wondering what finish to use, that will be OK with a vinaigrette dressing, which is obviously naturally acidic.
Any ideas recommendations or previous experience of this?

I did a bit more research, and can now answer my own question.
After speaking to the technical support person at Chestnut Products, I am confident that their food safe oil will be ok for this.

I am making bowls for Christmas treats |sweets/nuts/fruit and have spent a lot of time looking at “food safe” finishes
A few surprises came up and one of the ones I use is that chestnut food safe oil.
To the moderator;
I would like to tell peeps how good Axminster tools were in my search_ I was interested in their True Grit product and when I phoned them they looked up the data sheet for me. Such brill service
No it’s not classed as food safe
If this is not ok to post please delete
Thank you

Should note that olive oil it is non drying,therefore unsuitable,This is because it will become spoiled and rancid and each time its used it will impart on to the food used in it.

olive oil.... it will become spoiled and rancid and each time its used it will impart on to the food used in it.
No it does not. We've been using it for years in two salad bowls, and the family before that. One was made by my dad probably 80 years ago (walnut) another by me about 30 years ago (elm).
After use they just get a light wash and dry before putting away.
Fresh as a daisy!
They pick up more olive oil from the salad dressing and stay looking well oiled.
I guess if you didn't use one for a month or so you might want to give it a little wash first.
I wouldn't recommend light coloured wood - we have a sycamore bowl which picks up stains from beetroot etc.

Last edited:
Interesting
I was told to avoid oils like that because of them going off.
May have to test this
What about on soft wood like pine ?

I did a bit more research, and can now answer my own question.
After speaking to the technical support person at Chestnut Products, I am confident that their food safe oil will be ok for this.
I think their food safe oil is petroleum-based? I decided I preferred to use grape seed oil on the stuff I sold and use, it takes a while to cure but it's good, and cheap from local supermarkets.

Latest posts

Back