Trailer conversion for motorbikes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, the trailer for our dinghy is now all good after some bits have been replaced. The trailer from hitch to back is about 4.5 metres, and it's about 1.6 metres wide.

My next question is - is it reasonable to fabricate a base, to clamp (with U-bolts) to the existing trailer, to transport motorcycles? We're thinking of a rectangular frame with two or three runners for the wheels of two or three bikes to stand on, maybe an upright or two to strap to, and a simple rear frame to attach the light board. I'll do a drawing of that isn't clear.

Clearly, the trailer is too long for the bikes, but if we can avoid having to buy a separate trailer for the bikes it'd be good,

Thanks for any thoughts, C.

IMG_20240828_114341.jpg

What sort of bikes ?
Compared to a dinghy, there are plenty of big heavy bikes that could impose a much bigger point load on the frame and potentially bend those square section tubes if you hit a pothole.
Bikes might carry their weight higher up too, so you'll need to arrange good anchor points, good tie downs and potentially double them up. Having a strap fail and dropping a bike off the side of the trailer doesn't bear thinking about.

If we're talking a pair of 125cc trials bikes, I'm sure this must be doable :)

Latest posts

Back