What is this thing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
It’s a bit ambiguous title, but I can’t seem to find the right words to describe it to google a replacement. It’s a two way spring strut I think? It comes off a GreenMachine 400 series road sweeper and it’s no longer springy😂. I suspect it’s the same thing that motor bikes use for their suspension?

Anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction yoi would have my thanks.

I bent the eye trying to free it up and get it moving again……grrrr it is solid.

IMG_4199.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

Thanks, it’s not a shock absorber, there is a gas strut ahead of it that carry’s out this function. This is the main rear suspension and the manual description is that it’s a two way spring strut. Now tried googling that and all I’m getting is gas struts.

Motorcycles typically use a coil spring wrapped around a shock absorber cylinder. One unit each side when they have proportions like yours.

The reference to twin spring could mean two springs in series. A soft one and a hard one to give a compliant ride plus resistance to bottoming out on big hits. That's not unheard of. The springs on bike shocks are often on display but in a sweeper, enclosed might last longer.

Alternatively:
Imagining a "piston" inside that cylinder and a coil spring on each side of that, that would give a spring unit that naturally centres and works in both tension and compression. I've no idea if such a thing exists and what it would be called. Does that configuration make any sense in your machine ?

Is the weight of the machine riding on this and the one on the other side, or is it involved in the ride height of just the sweeper mechanism ?

Back