What do they call this and where might I buy one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lathe User

Established Member
Reaction score
I am stripping underseal off my MGB and it's doing a great job but no one seems to know what it's called!

Attachments

• PXL_20240729_141925489.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240729_141925489.MP.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
Related. You might want to make one of these for those awkward nooks and crannies.

(Ignore the thumbnail, this guy is seriously worth a watch)

Try ebay search of
Piranha Rotary Drill Wire Brush Paint Varnish Rust Removal of Tools, Brick, Wood

Nearest I can find. Those attachments used to be quite common.

These were a 1970s contraption. I have to admit I had one. Universally condemned as the tips wear and small pieces fly off. I agree with the post that it is important to protect yourself carefully, I would use a face shield.

Slight change of subject but similar, I have a lot of old paint on railings to remove. Have I seen a gun thing that vibrates / chips the paint off by lots of rods that go in and out? Anyone seen one and are they any good? ( know about Lead in the dust thanks)
Sorry to jump the thread. Ian

Hopefully you are already aware with sand blasting you need to use the best respirator you can. You shouldn't use beach sand as it can have high silica content which can cause silicosis when inhaled.

Yes brill thanks, I thought I had seen something like that!

The majority of the ones you see are air powered, in two form factors: like a pistol drill and a straight version.

There are a couple of electric ones around. Many years ago Bosch made one in their blue range and then there is a Hilti one (TE300). There is a Japanese one (Nitto Kohki) and now you can find AliExpress/eBay China specials.

The better quality electric ones are expensive, but might be an option if you have no suitable compressor. The cheap electric ones might be a gamble.

Search for needle scaler rather than needle gun. The latter finds lots of things for making tattoos.

These needle scalers are made for metal and a friend cleaned the chassis of a horsebox very well. Most definitely a PPE requirement. Also need quite a lot of air supply.

@ChaiLatte and @XTiffy , thank you muchly.
The railings are onto the sreeet, I was thinking that shot blasting would require all sorts of permits and sheeting, and now thinking about it I might need similar for a needle scaler, I suppose the Council won’t take kindly to Lead dust on the High Street!
Anyway Cheers Ian

Back