What do they call this and where might I buy one?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The railings are onto the sreet

Have a look on YouTube for Mick Blackley sandblaster. He has a dustless (wet) blaster which might be a good option. It is messy (slurry) but not dusty.

On the street side of the railings, if you erected a plywood hoarding (possibly with a roof) and lined it with polythene lapped down onto the floor, it would contain the mess. On the non-street side, scaffold sheeting would probably be OK. Industrial wet vac to clean up.

With a needle scaler, the dust is minimal. The air is used to power the tool, not to blow stuff about. You'd get away with a single piece of Heras fencing on the street side, again lined with scaffold sheeting, a flap at each end tied back to the fence. Move it along as each 8' section is complete. Agan, dry hoover up as you go.

Electric needle sclaers are available from hire shops, so you could try before you buy.

Hopefully you are already aware with sand blasting you need to use the best respirator you can. You shouldn't use beach sand as it can have high silica content which can cause silicosis when inhaled.
Aluminium oxide, or if you had a big compressor, copper slag. Both will last a lot longer than sand. Still need proper PPE.

@ChaiLatte and @XTiffy , thank you muchly.
The railings are onto the sreeet, I was thinking that shot blasting would require all sorts of permits and sheeting, and now thinking about it I might need similar for a needle scaler, I suppose the Council won’t take kindly to Lead dust on the High Street!
Anyway Cheers Ian
If they are the type that are bolted in then to be honest I would remove them and take to a sand blaster. Most will blast and prime at quite reasonable cost. Much less faff. If immovable then a needle scaler is definitely worth a try.

If they are the type that are bolted in then to be honest I would remove them and take to a sand blaster. Most will blast and prime at quite reasonable cost. Much less faff. If immovable then a needle scaler is definitely worth a try.
Even if immovable you could always cut them out and then re-assemble with a lapped bolted joint, think this would be the easiest solution.

Latest posts

Back