Waste disposal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I went to my waste recycling centre this AM to drop 7 bags of sawdust and shavings, cost me £8.00 with VAT (I have a Waste transfer licence so all registered and legit)

In its infinite wisdom Norfolk County Council are now, as of 18th November, going to change the criteria and charge according to the vehicle you turn up in, and I will need to book to go..

So in light of that, my £8.00 I paid to day will become:

waste.jpg

It is make money , I now have to pay £55.00 to have my garden waste bin emptied once ever two weeks , And only 9 months of the year , That is on top of my council tax that I pay . Everyone is after your money .

Our local council are considering limiting the number of visits you can make to the dump in any 1 year. So presumably granny who lives down rhe street from there and hand carries a shopping bag full of waste gets the same 12 visits as the family with their chelsea tractor full ?

I know I don't produce as many shavings etc, but I give all of mine to the gardener of a large house and he uses it in his compost bins to balance out the green matter ie grass and hedge trimmings.

But, in Gloucestershire, when I do go to the tip, I have to book. When this started, during the pandemic, the system realised that, if you had certain GL20 post codes, you weren't actually a Glos rate payer so I had to go many more miles to Pershore. However, either they have change computer system or criteria as I can now book!

Phil

I went to my waste recycling centre this AM to drop 7 bags of sawdust and shavings, cost me £8.00 with VAT (I have a Waste transfer licence so all registered and legit)

In its infinite wisdom Norfolk County Council are now, as of 18th November, going to change the criteria and charge according to the vehicle you turn up in, and I will need to book to go..

View attachment 188954
Advertise them on your local free cycle or FB Marketplace - people will have them for compost or chicken coops etc.

View attachment 188954
Garden brassier- oops BRAZIER comes to mind!
I got rid of a load of off-cuts recently by having all-wood fired BBQs.
At least Herefordshire is free, but one needs to book with certain monthly limits, & passes are required for vans, pick-ups & trailers over a certain size. I don't drive now, but there's a sign at the entrance:_ "NO PEDESTRIANS". What do we do then - chuck it over the fence? :unsure: 😇 :dunno:

Garden brassier- oops BRAZIER comes to mind!
I got rid of a load of off-cuts recently by having all-wood fired BBQs.
At least Herefordshire is free, but one needs to book with certain monthly limits, & passes are required for vans, pick-ups & trailers over a certain size. I don't drive now, but there's a sign at the entrance:_ "NO PEDESTRIANS". What do we do then - chuck it over the fence? :unsure: 😇 :dunno:
Push bike with a trailer?

The simple solution with wood waste is to burn it. A neighbouring joiners workshop, close to my old one. had an enormous wood burning stove. Fortunately, he had enough under cover space to store the off-cuts, sawdust and shavings he produced, throughout the year. Also, he had invested in a pellet making machine, and had a nice side-line in selling bags to the public.
I, however, was restricted under the terms of my rental agreement, from burning wood to heat my workshop. So, I had to bring in a skip at regular intervals and fill it with sawdust, shavings and softwood off-cuts. Any hardwood off-cuts, I was able to store and burn at home.
The only downside of supplying shavings for livestock, is that they have to be dust free, and not contain MDF , or anything else that is toxic. That seems to rule out most timbers except Whitewood, which is what the commercial brands of bedding seem to consist of.

Look at it from your local authority's position. They have statutory duties like social care and child protection. Things they have to do. Osborne slyly put in train a series of funding cuts which continued, they weren't allowed to increase council tax above government set thresholds. Councillors got the blame for service reductions forced on them by a small state ideology in central government, these were political choices. LAs do not have sustainable finance, after years of cuts, asset sales and using up reserves.

So if you are a council what do you do? Default on your statutory obligations or find ways to charge for anything that you don't have to do. You have to get some cash in. I doubt many elected representatives want to do any of this but their choices are limited. Write to your councillor, write to your MP, participate in campaigns and make sure you vote whenever you can.

And if you voted for a Conservative government or conservative councillors time after time, don't grumble, pay up proudly and say "this was an inevitable consequence of my choice". I did this.

Last edited:

View attachment 188954
You need a wood stove urgently.
Or people with horses, chickens etc may take it.

Advertise them on your local free cycle or FB Marketplace - people will have them for compost or chicken coops etc.

I think most of not all hardwood dust is toxic for animals, and certain ones are even no good to be composted - I produce a lot of Walnut dust, which is one of those that shouldn't be composted. Luckily my BIL takes it and turns it into brickettes.

I recall talking to a garage owner who used to burn sump oil to heat his workshop - until the council decided to get involved and require expensive licences after which he said it was cheaper to pay for collection.

Will councils do the same with wood?

Our local council are considering limiting the number of visits you can make to the dump in any 1 year. So presumably granny who lives down rhe street from there and hand carries a shopping bag full of waste gets the same 12 visits as the family with their chelsea tractor full ?
No nanna will be burning her bag of rubbish to keep warm in winter

I'm not saying this is good in fact the opposite -- West Sussex allow 5 trips to the rubbish dump every month - I am clearing small trees bushes (in my garden) and asked for more trips this month, a very helpful lady said I had used 4 could do one more and only then would she allow maybe 3 more trips. I have a domestic shredder and the shreddings fit in a builders bag in the back of my car so its not bulk taking up space. They send it all of to make compost
To use the facility you book your time slot with a 30 minute available period
Its free and you cant pay to get extra slots

Latest posts

Back