Wadkin FM24” Planer Restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I can't attach any more photos, so I'll do another post later.

RB ??? 9" surface planer of ~1946 or 47.

As purchased in 2017 - without a motor, electrics, fence, or guards for blades and belts:
PC300075.JPG

And earlier this year (completely overhauled and repainted, but still not complete :rolleyes: ):
0-9.jpg

And finally RTA 380 6" wood lathe, of 1951.

As purchased in 2016:
462021958.jpg

The only part I've overhauled is the tailstock (which is almost identical to an RS tailstock):
P7010004.JPG

I also have a Preston Woodworking Machinery (Canada) No. 132 30" bandsaw, of 1928. Wadkin sold these at one time as their model FF, but mine came direct from Canada to New Zealand Railways and was commissioned in February, 1929.

Here it is going back together in 2015 - just after overhauling the table tilt mechanism (the ugly guy is me):
P2100017.JPG

A White 18" No.1 SO cut-off saw - age unknown (1960s?).

Purchased in 2021 - in storage 450 miles away until I get a larger workshop.
0-5 2.jpg

And a Tanner (New Zealand) GB-165 thicknesser (cap. 12 1/4" x 6 1/2").

As purchased in 2022:
1674787274.jpg

Cheers, Vann.

Last edited:
Quality stuff here Vann, a true enthusiast. Thank you for posting your collection. I may post up some more gear from the workshop this end. Got an early CC cross cut that is used daily, 1950 Sagar 28” band saw, Bursgreen UOS P/T, Stenners, Wilson’s, Cooksleys etc etc

Thanks for the interest it’s very much appreciated 👍

76DB303B-71AB-40DC-A891-8CF16E08B213.jpeg

The end draws very near here for my planer/thicknesser. The top tables are on the machine, there is a few little details on the fence assembly, some paint and a few fastenings and fixings to sort but I think the next post will be the shakedown and final inspection/post up on this wonderful machine. It’s been a real pleasure to do. I am looking forwards to showing you the finished deal.

8B28DE92-9A4D-4CDA-B415-1D8DD828319D.jpeg

I’ll be in touch soon

Scotty

So am I, lovely job, I thought my SCM was bit of a beast, not now.
I would say (with a degree of bias of course) that this machine represents the very best that has ever been produced for its purpose, alongside the RM which is its older brother.
The industry and everything that goes along with it has changed so much from the 1960’s that there is no mileage in machines like this to be built anymore.
It’s capacity, capability, build quality, ease of use and robustness make it and machines of the same era a perfect fit for the type of work that I do, I could be machining some glazing bars one day, and then 6m slabs of Oak 2ft. wide the next, and this machine will do it all.
It’ll see me out and go on to the next person of that I have no doubts.
simple and regular maintenance is all this machine will need.
It’s been a real pleasure to restore, I am not even remotely an engineer of any kind, but the simplicity of the design has made it possible for me, with very basic tools, to bring this work beaten machine back from 60 hard English winters and to be able to face another 60 no problems.
That’s awesome I think

I would say (with a degree of bias of course) that this machine represents the very best that has ever been produced for its purpose, alongside the RM which is its older brother.
The industry and everything that goes along with it has changed so much from the 1960’s that there is no mileage in machines like this to be built anymore.
It’s capacity, capability, build quality, ease of use and robustness make it and machines of the same era a perfect fit for the type of work that I do, I could be machining some glazing bars one day, and then 6m slabs of Oak 2ft. wide the next, and this machine will do it all.
It’ll see me out and go on to the next person of that I have no doubts.
simple and regular maintenance is all this machine will need.
It’s been a real pleasure to restore, I am not even remotely an engineer of any kind, but the simplicity of the design has made it possible for me, with very basic tools, to bring this work beaten machine back from 60 hard English winters and to be able to face another 60 no problems.
That’s awesome I think
Here here!

Well. It’s a wrap for me on here with this machine. It’s not 100% finished, I need to fettle the bridge guard and paint the rear cover that protects the running gear for the block and feed, along with a few little bits and bobs with paint and fastenings, but it’s up and running and sounding good.
It’s been a real blast to work on, I’ve really enjoyed and I hope this has been of some interest and may yet be of some help to people out there.

1C00D06B-389A-40D7-B2D9-F1DAFF28EAA8.png

It’s come up a real treat, it’s testament to the engineers at Wadkin, the quality and craftsmanship is immense.
I ran some massive planks of Oak through today for it’s first ever session in my ownership. 24” wide, 4 1/2” thick and nearly 19 foot long, weight in excess of 200kg and the machine didn’t even change tone taking 1/4” off in one pass, just remarkable.
It’s an extremely powerful machine, hugely capable and just a pleasure to use and look at.

C7B41C80-4450-47F9-910E-31211D6C8B22.jpeg
3FE02A27-DD89-4169-BA8A-E5269954E8FB.jpeg

Max capacity straight off the bat. What a fantastic machine. It planed these two beams up with a glass finish.

EAC63D5C-E2A8-4CDB-828C-62D9E8027FBA.png

F5D41F0F-38B8-444F-906F-C28AADF9971E.png

Look at the size of that, and it didn’t even growl. I was surprised at how it just sailed through with absolutely no effort what so ever.

1822DA04-B7BB-4416-AF08-5B0FC1C1E17D.png

Shot of my old man watching the Oak sail through. He was impressed with the Wadkin, this would not be happening on the Bursgreen planer that’s for sure.

12821C86-92C5-46FA-8D4A-74A538D5B3CA.png

Lovely glass finish straight off the bed. Superb stuff

8B482BD8-78CF-41D3-A280-43727DEC417A.jpeg

Shop soiled, never to be clean again. Need to find a new rise/fall wheel and a switch and it’ll be looking the part.
All in all, a phenomenal machine, a fantastic restoration that I really enjoyed I now have this until my woodworking days are done.
Thanks for the interest

Scotty

That is just wonderful, a testament both to the engineering and your hard work and skill - superb.
I’m absolutely sure you have it there to fit, and I shouldn’t say it really, the Bridge guard?
Ian

That is just wonderful, a testament both to the engineering and your hard work and skill - superb.
I’m absolutely sure you have it there to fit, and I shouldn’t say it really, the Bridge guard?
Ian

😅 there is actually two bridge guards, one either side, the rear one is non adjustable and bolts to the fence, it covers the entire 26” of block when the fence is fully pulled over, and vice versa it sticks out 26” when it’s fully positioned over the far side. It’s cast aluminium and really very nice.
There is a usual style two piece bridge guard for the front in steel.
thanks for the kind words 👍

Well. It’s a wrap for me on here with this machine. It’s not 100% finished, I need to fettle the bridge guard and paint the rear cover that protects the running gear for the block and feed, along with a few little bits and bobs with paint and fastenings, but it’s up and running and sounding good.
It’s been a real blast to work on, I’ve really enjoyed and I hope this has been of some interest and may yet be of some help to people out there.

View attachment 183452

It’s come up a real treat, it’s testament to the engineers at Wadkin, the quality and craftsmanship is immense.
I ran some massive planks of Oak through today for it’s first ever session in my ownership. 24” wide, 4 1/2” thick and nearly 19 foot long, weight in excess of 200kg and the machine didn’t even change tone taking 1/4” off in one pass, just remarkable.
It’s an extremely powerful machine, hugely capable and just a pleasure to use and look at.

View attachment 183453View attachment 183454

Max capacity straight off the bat. What a fantastic machine. It planed these two beams up with a glass finish.

View attachment 183455
View attachment 183456

Look at the size of that, and it didn’t even growl. I was surprised at how it just sailed through with absolutely no effort what so ever.

View attachment 183457

Shot of my old man watching the Oak sail through. He was impressed with the Wadkin, this would not be happening on the Bursgreen planer that’s for sure.

View attachment 183458

Lovely glass finish straight off the bed. Superb stuff

View attachment 183459

Shop soiled, never to be clean again. Need to find a new rise/fall wheel and a switch and it’ll be looking the part.
All in all, a phenomenal machine, a fantastic restoration that I really enjoyed I now have this until my woodworking days are done.
Thanks for the interest

Scotty
Scotty, what a fantastic machine and a great rebuild series, thanks for all the time you have put in to this it's been a pleasure to read and follow along. This has to be one of my favorite woodworking pictures. It made be smile and guffaw with laughter when it came up, I can just imagine the awe as it ate that plank foot by foot, throwing chips everywhere.

Fitz
164488-EAC63D5C-E2A8-4CDB-828C-62D9E8027FBA.png

Scotty, what a fantastic machine and a great rebuild series, thanks for all the time you have put in to this it's been a pleasure to read and follow along. This has to be one of my favorite woodworking pictures. It made be smile and guffaw with laughter when it came up, I can just imagine the awe as it ate that plank foot by foot, throwing chips everywhere.

Fitz
164488-EAC63D5C-E2A8-4CDB-828C-62D9E8027FBA.png

It is my pleasure Fitz, I’m really pleased you enjoyed this thread. I thank Father Christmas for giving me Mecanno every time the 25th of December rolled around.
All joking aside though, It must be close to the pinnacle of its type, its power is immense and it was effortless to pass through max capacity stock.
That photo does capture it well, it was snowing in the yard, just not the white variety.

Not sure if this link will work, but that is a very short clip of the machine in action. Thanks again for the interest

Scotty

Back