Recent restorations & repairs on a few Backsaws...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentontool

Retired... with no complaints!
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Richard Groves and Sons backsaw with a broken horn on a beech handle:

01 R. Groves & Sons Backsaw Horn Repair 01 DSC03806.jpg

01 R.jpg

The horn ended-up looking more like a plane tote than a saw handle, but I learned from it! Nevertheless, it is very comfortable in the hand. After use, I can see why these saws are well-regarded:

01 R. Groves & Sons Backsaw Horn Repair 04 dsc03910.jpg

Tyzack Sons & Turner Dovetail saw post restoration. Another fine little saw:

01 Tyzack Sons & Turner Dovetail Saw dsc03935.jpg

A large Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw with broken apple handle:

01 Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw 01 dsc03941.jpg

01 Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw 02 dsc03957.jpg

I had no apple in stock, so I used cherry. A fairly close match:

01 Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw 03 dsc03973.jpg

01 Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw 04 dsc03978.jpg

Can you spot the repair?

01 Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw 05 dsc04018.jpg

This is now one of my favorite backsaws. The teeth were filed "general purpose"; 15 degrees of rake & 10 degrees of fleam. Rips adequately and cross-cuts quite well. I may modify that in the future.

01 Henry Disston & Sons Tenon Saw 06 dsc04010.jpg

Last edited:
This is great.
It is inspiring me to have a go at the brass backed Spears and Jackson that has been lurking around rustily in the workshop.
I have been a bit scared to remove the screws/ nuts .

This is great.
It is inspiring me to have a go at the brass backed Spears and Jackson that has been lurking around rustily in the workshop.
I have been a bit scared to remove the screws/ nuts .
Go for it!
Find a properly-sized screwdriver/turnscrew and apply firm steady pressure. I dedicated several screwdrivers for use on split-nuts by grinding a slot in the center. A good fit in the screw slot is key. Most of my better screwdrivers are hardened. The slot can be ground with a Dremel-type tool, or a cut-off wheel on an air grinder. Files will often skate off. You will probably then need to carefully narrow the screwdriver blade to fit your nuts. This can be accomplished on a bench grinder.
I have yet to break a screw, even on older split-nut saws (knock on wood, as we say around here). I have found some of the brass screws have very little thread remaining, yet amazingly, they hold solidly when reapplied. If you break a screw, it is not the end of the world. Replacements can be purchased (expensive) or shop-made.
http://blackburntools.com/new-tools/new-saws-and-related/saw-bolts/index.html
https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-115720-Solid-Replacement-Handsaws/dp/B07CJSZXSX
There are many videos on YouTube detailing the process of restoration.
Best of luck!

001 Slotted Turnscrew dsc03873.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the one in need of attention, turns out its a Robert Sorby not a Spiers and Jackson.
I rescued it from a relatives garage as she was moving house and it nearly went in the skip.
20240701_193714.jpg

It does actually cut and I don`t think its been used much just neglected in a damp garage.
However the nuts look a bit scary and I think I will need to grind down a screwdriver as they are long but really thin slots.

Shall I give everything a good soaking with penetrating oil for a week before doing anything?
20240701_193651.jpg

Latest posts

Back