Wadkin ags 10 Lock Nut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samweb132

Reaction score
Hi fellas! First time posting here!

Been slowly restoring this wadkin ags 10 saw and now got too actually putting a blade on it.
Trouble is I have absolutely no idea what thread this is or where to get one. I know for sure it is a reverse thread. Suspect it is imperial and also suspect it is square not acme.
Can anyone help with sourcing or identifying this thread or how to get a nut for it?

I have already messaged my local machine shop and they were very helpful quoting me websites where I may find a nut for it (but I have no idea which one is the right one) but they said the quote would be around £300-400 as they don't have the skills and tools so would have to take a whole day to do it.
Thanks Sam!

20241014_150722.jpg

I wouldn’t like to say just from your photo but you could buy a thread checking set from almost anywhere. It’s likely to be imperial but the size and pitch is what you need . Do you have any nuts you could just try for a fit - fingers only - no tools ..
Edit-some excellent and experienced restorers so with a bit of luck one may know exactly what size etc you need / good luck

Looks very like its bends very slightly to the right unless as you say optical illusion. But if you follow the outline of the vernier it does seam to bend ..

My thoughts exactly! A good clean with a wire wheel may help.

As suggested by yourself, it's most likely to be an imperial thread!

This is a left hand thread too, don't forget. You SHOULD be able to get one in Blighty. Failing that, it might be an idea to go to OWWM or similar. IIRC, Craftsman or Grizzly had a saw the spitting image of the Waddy 10" box.

Forget the vernier jaws....just look at the arbor thread....it looks bent!
Mehhh...Look at the rhs of the vernier jaw? Because of the macro limitations of the lens used, it looks curved too. I agree, on presentation, the shaft appears bent, but I genuinely believe it is optics, not another issue for the O.P. to deal with.

Would it be worth contacting wadkin directly?
Contacted them a while ago. Can't remember their exact answer but I believe it was along the lines that is was too old for them to have any info on and threads changed from time to time.
I wouldn’t like to say just from your photo but you could buy a thread checking set from almost anywhere. It’s likely to be imperial but the size and pitch is what you need . Do you have any nuts you could just try for a fit - fingers only - no tools ..
Edit-some excellent and experienced restorers so with a bit of luck one may know exactly what size etc you need / good luck
I haven't yet bought a pitch checkers but believe that they wouldn't work as it is a square thread and i can't seem to find one that does square threads.
.......Is it just me, or does something look bent in that picture...? Optical illusion perhaps?
you scared me for a bit there. But no it is not bent. It is just the calipers and photo at a weird angle.

Thanks for the input so far! Still hoping that i wake up to my angel commenting the exact specifications of the nut tho!!!

Back