Vitra bathroom fittings failing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
Vitra WHB, bath, WC previously fitted in our new house. Look new - must be just a year or two old.
All three failed!
Plug mechanisms in the bath and basin both broken, the bog doesn't flush properly - needs two flushes and the bog brush.
Are all Vitra products cr ap?
What's a good brand, without unnecessary plug mechanisms and with reliable flush.?

Probably not.

The fittings, waste etc, might not be Vitra. Sounds like the problem isn't ceramics, it's fittings the plumber has chosen to use to connect it all up which may, or may not, be out of a Vitra catalogue. May or may not be the cheapest stuff they could get from the wholesaler. Vitra have no control over that Often easy to replace.

Flushing problem unlikely to be the pan, so again not likely to be an issue with vitra design or manufacture,more likely poor installation, corrugated flex connector or similar, poor adjustment of water levels in cistern.

Bit like getting a puncture and saying all Fords are rubbish.

Most mainstream manufacturers have a huge range, with without lever wastes, tap holes etc. , a patient exploration of the ideal standard product list will give you answers, there are many others.

For traps and waste pipe fittings it’s always mc alpine for me solid and always good quality and worth paying the extra cost. Toolstations viva range is ok ball valves, and cistern fillers ( I’ve fitted many over the years , Thomas Dudley have been around for years the same items ,,unfortunately when I’m comes to basin waste fittings be it plug and chain , click clack , pivot etc etc the market is flooded with cheap imported crud but the cheapness means you simply replace it when it’s broke . There are more expensive waste fittings but often you are getting the same cheap crud but at an inflated price..

Thanks for replies. Yes I've begun to get it.
Set water level higher and ordered Siamp diaphragm to correct slow fill.
Both mechanical plugs are operative but not as intended - the bath just lifts up by hand without the mechanism - the whb works mechanically but without the washer which cause it to jam, instead it now leaks away. OK for a very quick wash!
Can't tell if it Vitras fault for supplying with the kit as it was previous residents installation.
Too many clever designs! Nowt wrong with a standard plug on a chain!

For syphons use Dudley, if you have a close coupled cistern then use the Dudley syphon that allows you to replace the diaphragm without removing the cistern first to get the syphon out.

https://www.thomasdudley.co.uk/tyde/products/adjustable-turbo-88/

You wont beat a good old fashioned plug on a chain, all these modern fandangled devices are just a right pita. If you want better quality look at Burlington or I believe Dudley still make a range. Visit a proper plumbers merchant and look at what they have on offer, Bristan make some solid waste brassware.

Back