Up and down lights, is there a problem??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an aside, we had to have a bat survey to build an outbuilding and discovered that uplighters are really confusing for bats so changed all our to the same pattern but just down lights and now only fit these on all projects.
That's interesting, I've never heard of this issue. Do you know the problem it causes and how big if an issue it is?

Some led bulbs may not as reliable as others and the on board electronics possibly more prone to either total failure; or at least reduced driver output. I have an outdoor led lamp in a bulk head installation with integral PIR. The bulb failed in that housing, whilst in other non PIR areas (indoors in a garage) the dame type and wattage have lasted, are lasting, far longer. The PIR unit has frequent on/offs due to assorted critters critters triggering it (think moggies, foxes erc.). Current bulb of another brand thus far is holding up ok. Flashing led systems have different electronics and so on and are designed for that flashing operation; other bulbs not so. I’m still inclined suspect the bulb and its built in driver in this case, producing correct volts hence the problem as described. The problem with led system with non replaceable bulbs is one never knows if it’s the drivers, or the led effectively failing as any diode system can have leakage across the diode(s) or go high resistance (the latter being unlikely though). I have seen led bulbs start ti show reduced output before they actually fail (before the claimed life of sed bulb).

Some led bulbs may not as reliable as others and the on board electronics possibly more prone to either total failure; or at least reduced driver output. I have an outdoor led lamp in a bulk head installation with integral PIR. The bulb failed in that housing, whilst in other non PIR areas (indoors in a garage) the dame type and wattage have lasted, are lasting, far longer. The PIR unit has frequent on/offs due to assorted critters critters triggering it (think moggies, foxes erc.). Current bulb of another brand thus far is holding up ok. Flashing led systems have different electronics and so on and are designed for that flashing operation; other bulbs not so. I’m still inclined suspect the bulb and its built in driver in this case, producing correct volts hence the problem as described. The problem with led system with non replaceable bulbs is one never knows if it’s the drivers, or the led effectively failing as any diode system can have leakage across the diode(s) or go high resistance (the latter being unlikely though). I have seen led bulbs start ti show reduced output before they actually fail (before the claimed life of sed bulb).
LED's have zero issues with being 'flashed'- they are a solid state component!!!
The failure of 'cheap' LED bulbs is usually manufacturers overdriving the LED's inside badly, in order to use less LEDs to get the same output (this is the cause of most early LED bulb failures) and there are some that are guaranteed to fail in only a few hundred hours or less of use- with them being overdriven by 200% or more of their maximum allowable current!!!

(there is a youtuber named Big Clive from the UK that his entire channel is 'teardowns' of electronic devices- and LED bulbs feature prominently on it)

It isn't the 'only' failure mode (excess heat can cause failure of the drivers true- usually capacitive dropper style circuits although these circuits are rare these days, and really only were found in the earlier LED bulbs) but overdriven LED's are by far the biggest issue- the cheaper the bulb the more likely it is that they are being overdriven to cut down on manufacturing costs...

Back