Two QUICK Shop TIPS:

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't get me started on rum, which has gone down the guff-ridden hype trail that gin has travelled in the last 10 years.
I read that gin sales dropped by a £billion last year. There were something like 160 companies (probably more now) making/selling gin and only eleven iirc actually distill, the rest buy either cheap gin or neutral spirit, throw a handful of flavourings in and triple the price. There is one locally that buys Lidl gin and repackages it.

This is what you get when something gets trendy. Everyone wants a piece and crapness is rendered. Gin is horrible stuff anyway, about the only thing I won't drink (well, undiluted anyway. It's just about bearable in a Martini). Give me bourbon anyday....

Done this for a few years since reading the tip somewhere, and yes, it does work.
Another tip? Tap the nozzle with your fingernail a few times after use, before you screw the top on. It seems to make any liquid glue that was just about to emerge and concrete the cap, fall back down the spout.
Also, try to keep the tube/bottle upright in the fridge....
I have an oily rag as well as a rag-in-can to wipe over tools before putting them away. But I also use the rag to wipe the tip and screw thread on the CA bottle. This should help prevent the lid from sticking.

Here you go, Brother... have a look at these...
however, some would consider the dilution of ardent spirits impiously irreverent! :ROFLMAO:

https://www.amazon.com/Innovee-Soda-Siphon-Ultimate-book/dp/B01E3OJ7U2/ref=sr_1_44?crid=1SXJGMCWI60HN&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Pa6LEKJASir7jGavpNZOn8UfQKtCnLG_2UrM5IOvHdY6bJpR5IzuVYGXv-bINjfHlowweezkPBN17ilJUGKbn6yzBVeezkYTri3lJQp4mnPNeJ9UQY0tEWgo2veeTRVebdIOkA0bpcmHBqrRlEr9knRZqSy6UrF1RE822GTTiKeLyw_WWS5IoFcZuvaG6FLTBXH7q1WygziFhLF09GwnXGGcAFG8w_3dTixOZYId2qaH--e1v4LjnjVbHqd8UhAM554TtYj4EY-h3MIay8gW7aia1QAOJWDphNhnu_iNWUE.0jWsz4lEe4NNQCWwieXYaLKs98wZrSrIeLAPYEhd_cs&dib_tag=se&keywords=glass+bartop+soda-dispensing+bottle&qid=1726925970&sprefix=glass+bartop+soda-dispensing+bottle,aps,128&sr=8-44

https://www.amazon.com/iSi-Sodamaker-Classic-Siphon-Bottle/dp/B01MAVUI17/ref=sr_1_43?crid=1SXJGMCWI60HN&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Pa6LEKJASir7jGavpNZOn8UfQKtCnLG_2UrM5IOvHdY6bJpR5IzuVYGXv-bINjfHlowweezkPBN17ilJUGKbn6yzBVeezkYTri3lJQp4mnPNeJ9UQY0tEWgo2veeTRVebdIOkA0bpcmHBqrRlEr9knRZqSy6UrF1RE822GTTiKeLyw_WWS5IoFcZuvaG6FLTBXH7q1WygziFhLF09GwnXGGcAFG8w_3dTixOZYId2qaH--e1v4LjnjVbHqd8UhAM554TtYj4EY-h3MIay8gW7aia1QAOJWDphNhnu_iNWUE.0jWsz4lEe4NNQCWwieXYaLKs98wZrSrIeLAPYEhd_cs&dib_tag=se&keywords=glass+bartop+soda-dispensing+bottle&qid=1726925970&sprefix=glass+bartop+soda-dispensing+bottle,aps,128&sr=8-43

https://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Dog-Stainless-Carbonated-Cartridges/dp/B0BYTW78M4/ref=sr_1_33?crid=1SXJGMCWI60HN&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Pa6LEKJASir7jGavpNZOn8UfQKtCnLG_2UrM5IOvHdY6bJpR5IzuVYGXv-bINjfHlowweezkPBN17ilJUGKbn6yzBVeezkYTri3lJQp4mnPNeJ9UQY0tEWgo2veeTRVebdIOkA0bpcmHBqrRlEr9knRZqSy6UrF1RE822GTTiKeLyw_WWS5IoFcZuvaG6FLTBXH7q1WygziFhLF09GwnXGGcAFG8w_3dTixOZYId2qaH--e1v4LjnjVbHqd8UhAM554TtYj4EY-h3MIay8gW7aia1QAOJWDphNhnu_iNWUE.0jWsz4lEe4NNQCWwieXYaLKs98wZrSrIeLAPYEhd_cs&dib_tag=se&keywords=glass+bartop+soda-dispensing+bottle&qid=1726925970&sprefix=glass+bartop+soda-dispensing+bottle,aps,128&sr=8-33
I would rather spend that sort of money on single malts!!!!!!!!!

Bless you, I was looking for something more basic, my cooking Scotch I splash quite generously, my sipping Scotch I treat more kindly. As Phil has posted, my Tomatin 12 Yr old gets a teaspoonful of boiled cooled water in a generous measure which will last me all evening. I am not a bibulous neophyte driven by advertising, but have had at least 40 years learning what I enjoy.

Don't get me started on rum, which has gone down the guff-ridden hype trail that gin has travelled in the last 10 years. Spiced, Light, Fruit, Cinnamon Cookie flavoured et al.

Plymouth Gin got it right in the days of sail, who needs rhubarb and aardvark pis& additives to convince you that a centuries-old spirit is eminently quaffable.

Rant over.
Sadly, living in the Colonies, my available selection of Scotch whiskies is severely limited.
Worse yet, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in particular, where the liquor stores are administered by the state government.
As you may have heard, everything that the government touches turns to *!#@! So very true.

I have never even so much as seen a bottle of Tomatin (I had to look it up!)! :(
I have long been an admirer of (true) Scotch whiskey.
Dare I say that Scotch is only rivaled by the Irish whiskies, which in general (IMHO), are excellent as well.

I am not typically a fan of Rum, however, in my sailing days, I would purchase a case or two of "Pusser's" Royal Navy blend whilst in the Bahamas and British Virgin Islands. Those were the good old days. I then married a Yankee who gets seasick in a row boat... :(

In closing, I have to wonder just exactly how this post on shop tips turned into a forum on fine spirits! :ROFLMAO:

Rum? Many moons ago I got extremely drunk at a party. In the morning, as was the custom, anyone who crashed out overnight cleaned the house up in the morning. We sent someone to the village shop for bread and bacon for butties for breakfast, and duly cleaned up. Behind a curtain we found a bottle of Mount Gay, so four of had it with bacon butties before hitting the pub for the lunchtime. Young and foolish. Not all that young, but extremely foolish.

Last edited:
I have an oily rag as well as a rag-in-can to wipe over tools before putting them away. But I also use the rag to wipe the tip and screw thread on the CA bottle. This should help prevent the lid from sticking.
Very good tip with the oily rag! When I was a BTCV volunteer we always brushed the tools with oil at the end of the day. I never thought to extend the practice to hand tools.
Can't say I'd want get oil or grease anywhere near glue though. The risk of contaminating the work is too high. But then I do tend to glue very small things...

NO 'E' !!!!!

Just as in to water or not...

Whisky or Whiskey? It All Depends Whisky Advocate

March 4, 2024 –––––– Danny Brandon

No matter how well-acquainted you are with our beloved spirit, odds are that you’ve noticed a slight difference in how your favorite brands style their labels. Some distillers call their creations “whiskey,” while others eschew the “e” in favor of “whisky.” This slight difference in spelling has created one of those historical oddities that makes the water of life such a colorful and fascinating subject. As always seems to be the case with whisky, various events throughout generations have created the divide.
To help shed some light on the whisky-versus-whiskey question, we’ve unpacked the story in its various parts. Much of it comes down to where the liquid was made, but again, despite all the great efforts to codify and regulate this great drink, we often find some exceptions to the rules.

Countries That Use Whisky​

• Canada
  • Japan
  • Scotland
  • World

Countries That Use Whiskey​

• Ireland
  • United States

So, Which is Historically Correct?​

Neither spelling is technically incorrect, whisky, without the “e,” came first, and there’s a lot of history there. The modern art of distillation owes a great deal of its foundation to the early work of alchemists. These trailblazers used early forms of distillation to remove salt and other impurities from water some 2,000 years ago. Though the exact “when” is debated, sometime along the way the alchemists began experimenting by adding different substances to their stills and stumbled into producing a primitive unaged grain spirit which they called aqua vitae—the water of life.
By the 14th century that spirit had become increasingly popular across the British Isles, particularly in Ireland and Scotland. The Scots and the Irish adored it, but things gravitated toward a more colloquial name. They translated the Latin aqua vitae into their native Gaelic: the Scots ended up with the phrase uisge beatha, while the Irish spelled it uisce beatha, pronounced “Ish-ka Bah-ha.” Over time, it would be shortened to just uisge (or uisce), which was eventually anglicized to whisky.

Where Does “Whiskey” Come From?

The spelling of “whiskey” is a more recent phenomenon, first cropping up among Irish distillers in the late 19th century. Until that point, everybody labeled their bottles as whisky—including those who spell it whiskey today. All whisky was made using pot stills, and the Irish were far and away the biggest producers while the Scots trailed far behind. The reason for the shift in spelling can be pinpointed to a single event in 1830 which also upset the balance of power in the whisky scene.
That marked the year Irish inventor Aeneas Coffey patented his eponymous Coffey still. His version of a column still could operate 24 hours a day and was more efficient than pot stills. Scottish distillers quickly latched onto these new stills and used them to make grain whiskies from unmalted cereals like corn and wheat. The grain whiskies, though abundant, didn’t taste like Irish malt whiskey, and thus weren’t seen as a real threat. But that changed when the Scots began blending these grain whiskies with their traditional pot-stilled malt, and that all accelerated when a new law passed in 1860 that permitted the practice. That law pioneered the blended scotch whisky style that exists today.
Ireland’s leading distillers were outraged, viewing this new blended style as a perversion of a long-held whiskey-making tradition cultivated by generations of distillers. Moreover, they were losing considerable market share to the Scots, who could churn out far higher volumes of good-tasting whisky at a much lower cost. As time went on, this Irish-Scottish disagreement grew bitter and was taken to the court of public opinion. Major Irish distillers banded together to publish a book in 1879, entitled “Truths About Whisky,” which denounced these blends as not real whisky. Many histories attribute the difference in the spellings to this issue, saying that some Dublin distillers changed their labels to Irish whiskey, as a way of distancing themselves from blended scotches, a change that was accelerated by a Parliamentary report in 1909 reinforcing the Scots’ use of the “whisky” spelling. But some dispute that story: Irish whiskey maker McConnell’s, which uses the older spelling, argues that the difference predates those events.

Is Scotch Whisky or Whiskey?​

Many things in the scotch scene have changed since 1909, but the spelling of whisky has remained the same. Blended scotch whisky brands grew to be global players, led by labels like Dewar’s, Johnnie Walker, and Chivas Regal. Most are still made from both grain and malt whiskies, but there are also blended grain and blended malt whiskies. Blended grain scotches, like Compass Box Hedonism, are made entirely from grain whiskies. Blended malt scotches, like Johnnie Walker Green Label, are blended entirely from malt whiskies.
We’ve also seen the rise and continued dominance of single malt scotches. These whiskies are made in a way that production methods of the older Scottish distillers: distilled entirely from malted barley using pot stills. Though these whiskies must be aged for at least 3 years, many sport much older age statements. Whether it's a blend or a single malt, all scotch is labeled as whisky.

Why Does America Spell it Whiskey?​

Nearly all American whiskey is labeled with an “e” today, but that wasn’t always the case. American distillers historically used both spellings on their rye and bourbon bottles, influenced by both Scottish and Irish distillers who immigrated to the States over time. Interestingly, some government regulations, including those still used by the TTB today, seem to prefer the more traditional Scottish spelling.
The turning point toward the Irish spelling came about due to Prohibition. By the time the Volstead Act was repealed in 1933, the whiskey industry was largely decimated; powerhouse distilleries were shuttered along with their brands, while the distillers were forced to pick up the pieces and start from scratch. At the time of rebuilding, the popular styles of whisky in the U.S. were Irish imports and Canadian labels that were smuggled in during Prohibition. It’s theorized that the Americans adopted the Irish spelling en masse to associate their new liquid with the higher-quality Irish expressions—or, at least, as a way of distancing it from the lower-quality juice from Canada at the time. Today most American whiskeys—including bourbons, ryes, Tennessee whiskeys like Jack Daniel’s, and American single malts—still use that spelling.

Why Is Maker’s Mark Whisky and Not Whiskey?​

Keen-eyed drinkers have probably noticed that Maker’s Mark bills itself as a bourbon whisky. But how is it able to do this? And why? Well, unlike in Scotland where the spelling is a matter of law, distillers in the U.S. are free to use either whiskey or whisky on their labels. Maker’s opts for the Scottish spelling to pay homage to the founding Samuels family’s heritage, which can be traced back to Scotland. Maker’s Mark isn’t alone either. Popular brands like George Dickel in Tennessee, the Texas-based Balcones, and a few other producers also opt out of adding an “e”.

Other Global Spellings​

Most producers around the world fall on one side of the debate or the other. The majority were inspired to make whisky because of scotch’s influence and thus used the Scottish spelling. A particularly curious example can be found in Wales. The Welsh were also present when whisky caught fire in the British Isles during the 14th century. Over the ensuing centuries, Welsh distillers began making what they called wisgi Cymreig, though production would eventually flatline in the late 19th century due to widespread pro-temperance movements throughout the UK. In more recent times, the Welsh have returned—led by distilleries like Penderyn and Aber Falls—though now they prefer the “whisky” spelling. Other places like Australia, New Zealand, Lebanon, and Israel also prefer whisky over whiskey. Mexico remains divided on the matter, with Abasolo going for whisky while Sierra Norte chooses whiskey.

Indian Whisky​

Whisky exploded in popularity in India during the early 19th century, when it was still part of the British Empire, and the whisky back then came from Scotland. Naturally, those scotches would inspire the coming generations of Indian distillers. Today Indian whisky is still emerging on the global stage, and the leading producers—Rampur, Amrut, Paul John, and Indri—all favor single malts that carry “whisky” on their labels.

Japanese Whisky​

When it comes to the newer whisky nations around the world, few are as devoted to the Scottish tradition as Japan. The first leading Japanese distilleries owed much of their success to Masataka Taketsuru, a chemist and the heir to a sake brewing family. He drew inspiration from Scotland, learning to distill at the University of Glasgow and taking apprenticeships at both Longmorn and Hazelburn distilleries; he’d eventually serve in an executive position at Yamazaki, before founding Yoichi Distillery and its larger Nikka franchise. Though they were distinctly different, Taketsuru’s whiskies very much echoed their spiritual forebears from Scotland. That’s also the case for many Japanese whiskies today, so it’s no shock that these delicious drams retain the Scottish spelling of whisky.

Canadian Whisky​

Canada is another nation that drops the “e” on its whisky labels, being part of the British Empire played a role in that. It’s thought that whisky distillation was brought to Canada very early on by American and European immigrants who favored wheat and rye, not the malted barley typically used by the Scots. While the grains and styles are different, Canada does have some ties to Scotland which also may help explain the similar spelling. The Molson family, which originally came from England, set up the first commercial whisky distillery in 1801—effectively predating both the introduction of the Coffey still and subsequent adoption of the “e” by Irish distillers. By the time the 1909 Parliamentary report was dropped on the UK, popular Canadian heavyweights like Seagram’s (then Waterloo Distillery in Ontario) and Hiram Walker (producer of Canadian Club) were already established.

Know what you mean about the large glue bottles with a screw top, really difficult to squeeze it out, I bought a couple of the small hobby size glue bottles which are so much easier to use, then refill from the big ones.
It’s Evostick that I use.
If your wife dyes her hair the bottle of peroxide that comes with the kit is great for storing PVA in after a wash out not for large jobs but if you model build etc great . I have three going 10 min fast PVA normal PVA and D4 all come with screw tops and second use plastic environmentaly good

Back