TV advertising quality!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what most people do, believe what they want to believe.

BTW. Calling something a conspiracy theory is just a way of saying you don't want to believe it. If it was wrong you would call it a lie.
That's just plain wrong. There's a big difference between a lie and a conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure if TV advertising is at all relative to myself as a white straight middle aged bloke. Th advertisers are clearly aiming at multicultural and same sex relationships - I guess that is where all the money is now.

That's what most people do, believe what they want to believe.

BTW. Calling something a conspiracy theory is just a way of saying you don't want to believe it. If it was wrong you would call it a lie.
Truth and lies are subjective, especially when the sources are man-made. It seems you believe in only black and white, a binary position, perhaps.

With any conspiracy theory, there has to be a growing consensus of belief before people. en masse, believe it is credible. As it is, these single instances of dubious truth are wallowing in the dark depths of obscurity.

For those of us who are contented with life, there is no need seek negativity. Certainly not this one. If it starts to have an effect on me, and the millions of others in the UK, then I might sit up and take notice. Until then...

Truth and lies are subjective, especially when the sources are man-made. It seems you believe in only black and white, a binary position, perhaps.

With any conspiracy theory, there has to be a growing consensus of belief before people. en masse, believe it is credible. As it is, these single instances of dubious truth are wallowing in the dark depths of obscurity.

For those of us who are contented with life, there is no need seek negativity. Certainly not this one. If it starts to have an effect on me, and the millions of others in the UK, then I might sit up and take notice. Until then...
I'm alright Jack.

Did I say you said that they were the same? I said your statement was plain wrong, and then I made another statement.
OK but you believe truth and lies are subjective.
You need to realise that feelings have no bearing on facts.

You'll be telling me next that if you call yourself a woman you are one.

You'll be telling me next that if you call yourself a woman you are one.
I'm sorry, but I don't think I said that either.

I think that if you tell me the earth is flat, that's not true, are you telling a lie? Well I suppose that's debatable, if you really believe the earth is flat, then, depending on your definition of lying, who knows?
The conspiracy theory is not about the fact of whether or not the earth is flat, it's about the idea that scientists, including NASA, are faking the evidence of the oblate spheroid earth in a conspiracy to deceive you.
Not that I'm suggesting that you do believe the earth is flat, it's just an example.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I said that either.
what?
I think that if you tell me the earth is flat, that's not true, are you telling a lie? Well I suppose that's debatable, if you really believe the earth is flat, then, depending on your definition of lying, who knows?
The conspiracy theory is not about the fact of whether or not the earth is flat, it's about the idea that scientists, including NASA, are faking the evidence of the oblate spheroid earth in a conspiracy to deceive you.
Not that I'm suggesting that you do believe the earth is flat, it's just an example.
But that's nothing to do with truth, that's opinion.

If you conclude that the earth is flat that's your view or opinion unless you can prove it.

If you think about it what we actually know is very little, most of it is just belief,

That is what I didn't say. Maybe another poster did..

But if you want to claim that the earth not being flat is just my opinion, then I really can't be bothered to continue.

That is what I didn't say. Maybe another poster did..

But if you want to claim that the earth not being flat is just my opinion, then I really can't be bothered to continue.
of course you can't be bothered, that's why you brought flat earth in as a red herring.

But that's exactly what it is.

Without quoting something you have heard from an authority figure and just believe,
give me one piece of proof that the earth is flat or not flat or triangular.

But that's exactly what it is.

Without quoting something you have heard from an authority figure and just believe,
give me one piece of proof that the earth is flat or not flat or triangular.
I've been sailing and seen things disappear over the horizon in all directions in different parts of the world, I've seen sunsets and the shadow the earth casts on the moon.
I've seen planes and the international space station lit up at night by the sun when it's not visible from sea level.

I've read the arguments of the flat earthers, whose theories as to why these things happen are nonsensical and extremely complicated.
But no, I doubt I can give you any proof that you would accept.

I'm not sure if TV advertising is at all relative to myself as a white straight middle aged bloke. Th advertisers are clearly aiming at multicultural and same sex relationships - I guess that is where all the money is now.
It's 'virtue signalling' by brands who believe that if they emphasise their 'rainbow' credentials, they'll benefit from what's known as the 'pink pound' (Or in the USA the 'Pink Dollar'). It didn't quite work out that way for Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s largest brewer which may have lost as much as $1.4 billion in sales because of the backlash to its brief partnership with a 'transgender influencer' to promote Bud Light beer.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/02/29/business/bud-light-boycott-ab-inbev-sales/index.html

Halifax Building Society's virtue signalling attempts in the UK backfired big style too:

Here's a snippet:

Quote:

Halifax customers are closing their accounts en masse after its social media team told them to leave if they don't like their new pronoun badges for staff in what is being branded one of the biggest PR disasters in British business history.

One account holder told MailOnline they have already pulled out investments and savings worth £450,000 while many more said they are closing ISAs, cutting up credit cards or transferring balances to rivals after they accused the bank of 'alienating' them with 'pathetic virtue signalling'.

The row began this week when Halifax, which was propped up by the taxpayer to the tune of £30billion as part of a 2008 bailout, tweeted its 118,000 followers on Tuesday revealing that it would allow staff to display their pronouns on their name badges, in a post that read 'pronouns matter'.

It showed a photo of a female staff member's name badge, which featured 'she/her/hers' in brackets under the name Gemma, and said the policy was to help avoid 'accidental misgendering'.

One customer replied: 'There’s no ambiguity about the name “Gemma”. It’s a female person’s name. In other words, it’s pathetic virtue signalling and is seen as such by almost everyone who has responded to the initial tweet. Why are you trying to alienate people?' Within 20 minutes a member of the Halifax social media team, calling himself Andy M, replied: 'If you disagree with our values, you're welcome to close your account'.

Andy M's response has outraged customers, and seen hundreds claiming they will boycott the bank with many saying they have closed their accounts. Others have cut up their credit cards or getting rid of insurance policies and said the threat was the final straw after it cut 27 branches alone in 2022.

End quote.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...rs-exodus-customers-staff-pronoun-policy.html

Disclaimer: Lest anyone think otherwise, I'm not, nor ever have been, a Daily Mail reader!

Wickes too, came rather unstuck:

Quote:

Customers have slated the store and and threatened to cancel orders worth thousands of pounds after comments made by Wickes CEO.
Wickes, a DIY retailer and garden centre, is facing a torrent of outrage from shoppers after the company’s boss took part in an online trans summit hosted by Pink News yesterday, where he addressed backlash the company has faced over its Pride stance.

Fraser Longden discussed a float the company paraded at Brighton Pride over the weekend, he said: “I don't think I'm ever going to change some of the bigots minds out there’, I'm never going to win that argument with them, so we were doing [the Pride float] to show support to the community'. The float featured a poster that read “No LGB without the T” promoting trans inclusivity amid June’s pride month, along with the accompanying message underneath “we stand with out trans siblings now and forever”.

Mr Longden’s alleged comments at the summit, alongside the Pride float which featured the blue, pink and white trans flag, has since sparked fury online.

End quote.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/trans-row-pride-month-wickes-ceo-outrage/

Not an issue I feel strongly about - I like anyone who likes me.

It's one thing a company being 'inclusive' but if in so doing, it alienates by far the largest percentage of its customer base by calling them 'bigots' or 'transphobes' and telling them to take their business elsewhere simply because they believe biological sex is immutable, that's not 'inclusive - it's divisive, and doesn't seem like good business sense to me. They ought not the be surprised if customers vote with their feet and take their 'straight pound' elsewhere. Instead of promoting inclusivity, these examples seem to create needless division and animosity.

Just to give a sense of perspective, in the 2021 Census for England and Wales, for the first time, there was a question of 'Gender Identity':
'Gender identity' refers to a person’s sense of their own gender, whether male, female or another category such as non-binary. This may or may not be the same as their sex registered at birth.

A total of 45.4 million (93.5%) answered “Yes”, indicating that their gender identity was the same as their sex registered at birth.

A total of 262,000 people (0.5%) answered “No”, indicating that their gender identity was different from their sex registered at birth. Within this group:
  • 118,000 (0.24%) answered “No” but did not provide a write-in response
  • 48,000 (0.10%) identified as a trans man
  • 48,000 (0.10%) identified as a trans woman
  • 30,000 (0.06%) identified as non-binary
  • 18,000 (0.04%) wrote in a different gender identity
The remaining 2.9 million (6.0%) did not answer the question on gender identity.

I've been sailing and seen things disappear over the horizon in all directions in different parts of the world, I've seen sunsets and the shadow the earth casts on the moon.
I've seen planes and the international space station lit up at night by the sun when it's not visible from sea level.

I've read the arguments of the flat earthers, whose theories as to why these things happen are nonsensical and extremely complicated.
But no, I doubt I can give you any proof that you would accept.
Lest anyone be confused I'm not saying the earth is flat.

But I can't prove it isn't, or is and I really don't care.

Latest posts

Back