TRV adaptors, any ideas?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tris

What am I doing here?
Reaction score
The house where I work is getting on, and the plumbing was last upgraded in the 80's. Many if the TRVs are failing and the old (M30?) thread is obsolete. I tried an adaptor bought online but it was badly made in aluminium with such a short thread only one turn was engaged.
Does anyone know of a source of better quality adaptors? And if not what would an engineering company need to be able to machine some up? I think we need around 35 all told.
Changing the valves is not an option at this stage.

Edit: old TRVs are 28mm

Last edited:
A lot more than 35 new valves and probably a portion of the cost of actually changing them. Why is changing them not an option ? The valves themselves could be as worn as the heads.

A lot more than 35 new valves and probably a portion of the cost of actually changing them. Why is changing them not an option ? The valves themselves could be as worn as the heads.
The family have said they don't want that upheaval at the moment so I'm trying to find a work around for them

Seems there’s plenty to choose from but the only true way to tell is by trying them - if the central pin does not apply enough pressure it won’t work likewise if it applies to much . I know you’ve said changing them isn’t an option but in the long term it’s more economical as the system only has to be drained once . It will also most likely benefit from a power flush and re treating with new inhibitor. Then it’s done and any future replacement trv,s will be just a case of changing the head ..

Radiator Adapter for TRV- 28mm to 30mm 1 - Lowenergie
£5.29
Low Energy Supermarket

(5)

By Google

The two adaptors linked to above are identical, made by Myson. Hence, if he has already tried one from supplier A, the self same product from supplier B is unlikely to solve his problem.

----

How does the nut fit onto a current-model TRV head? Instead of an adaptor, maybe it would be possible to remove the M30 nut and replace with either the nut from your existing one or make a new nut with the smaller thread. Making a nut with only one thread in it would be less money than duplicating the adaptor above - the adaptor is complicated.

If you find someone with a pipe freezer, you would not even need to drain the system and it is minimal disruption. There are plenty of gadgets on the market to allow removing the valve off a radiator without having the contents of the radiator end up on the floor.

That being said, the drain, flush and refill is really the best solution.

The two adaptors linked to above are identical, made by Myson. Hence, if he has already tried one from supplier A, the self same product from supplier B is unlikely to solve his problem.

----

How does the nut fit onto a current-model TRV head? Instead of an adaptor, maybe it would be possible to remove the M30 nut and replace with either the nut from your existing one or make a new nut with the smaller thread. Making a nut with only one thread in it would be less money than duplicating the adaptor above - the adaptor is complicated.

If you find someone with a pipe freezer, you would not even need to drain the system and it is minimal disruption. There are plenty of gadgets on the market to allow removing the valve off a radiator without having the contents of the radiator end up on the floor.

That being said, the drain, flush and refill is really the best solution.
Thank you, the nut idea could be a good solution and certainly less involved. The Drayton valves are fairly easy to get off the nut

Just a thought, putting an adaptor between the old and new valve may not work as the new valve head may not have a long enough travel to accommodate the increase in depth, also the change may be required because the valve is stuck down as normally happens and changing the valve head will not address that.

I've just replaced all my radiator TRV with Tado TRV. Each Tado TRV came with a set of adapters. As it happens, the old TRV were all the same size and so I didn't have to use the adapters. Would these maybe work?

Tado Adaptors.jpg

Back