Trouble with dust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Try to Turn

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please be gentle!

Thought I'd start with an easy question for all you old hands!

I've just started turning and now after building myself a workshop (read shed) I'm really enjoying learning, the problem is dust. What method of protection/removal is best? I have looked at the airshield pro, the workshop air cleaners/filters and the drum type extractors. Any advice greatfully received.

Steve

Welcome to the forum T-toT,

My advice is to get yourself a full air fed face mask of one type or another, not a cheap solution but he only practical one I'm afraid.

Some people manage with a half mask for filtering but you still need a face shield for debris protection.

The new Trend one is rather expensive, (I have the previous version) you might want to look at the Power cap version which is a bit cheaper, make sure you get the one with rechargable 8 hour batteries, there are several versions.

If at all possible get a chip extractor that will move the greatest volume you can afford, it won't move many of the chips other than for cleanup but the large air movement will draw a bigger percentage of the dust away from you at the lathe. Mine is positioned outside the shop so that I can have a corse filter on it to increase the airflow.

It is essential if it is inside the shed that it has the finest of filters (.5micron?) and you will need an air cleaning filter as well in this case to remove dust in the shed air.

Protecting yourself from the dust is not cheap but the health hazards from not doing so are high.

Welcome T2T, good advice (as usual) from Chas

There are many ways to tackle the problem... at one time I had a domestic cooker extractor mounted over the lathe (suitable filters added!), I eventually turned it upside down so that it blew a curtain of air down to the working area on the lathe, just didn't like the idea of it sucking up dust laden air past me nose :wink: :wink:

I added extraction to the lathe work area... blow from above, suck from below and away from me :D

Steve, I forgot to mention that I have a 9" expelair extractor immediately above the lathe venting airborne shed dust outside, (in leu of shop air filter) may not be an option if you are in a location that means dust would be a nuisance or hazard to neighbors etc.

May be a problem for you as indeed could be my external chip extractor as far as winter heating is concerned, not a problem for me as I have large area of south facing glass.

Hello Steve and welcome :D
All been said i think,but don't forget to wear a smock to keep the dust and splashes off yourself.

Chas - I would say that a full air fed face mask is not the only practical solution.
I've been using a rubber mask with replaceable filter for the last 4 years or so. Yes, you do need a visor as well for face protection but that fits easily over my mask without any misting problems. I know that some people have problems getting a decent seal over a beard but I don't (I do prefer quite a short beard though).
I like the idea of the Trend but when I tried one at Harrogate I didn't like the feel of it (I have back and neck problems already and the extra weight might make it worse). The air flowing over my face in summer is appealing though.

TtoT- I agree with the others about extractors and filter. The Microclene MC400 filter that I've had for 6 years or so still works well. The only problem is that it's a little noisy - it's just over the lathe so quite close to my head. When it's on and I'm in there I tend to wear ear defenders. It's turned on whenever I'm doing any sanding.
I also have a single motor Camvac. This is also pretty noisy so I only have it on when I'm sanding or using bandsaw or power tools.

For an example of how effective air filters and masks are take a look at this post

Thanks for your replys everyone. Looks like I will be getting a respirator and doing a darth vader impression! The extractor fan sounds like a good idea Chas, luckily it can eject out into a field so will not bother anyone.

duncanh":2di0uxtd said:
Chas - I would say that a full air fed face mask is not the only practical solution.
I've been using a rubber mask with replaceable filter for the last 4 years or so. Yes, you do need a visor as well for face protection but that fits easily over my mask without any misting problems. I know that some people have problems getting a decent seal over a beard but I don't (I do prefer quite a short beard though).

Half mask not an option for me Duncan, as the eyes are one of the most exposed mucus rich (absorption) areas I can't risk getting fine dust that could find its way under a face shield getting in my eyes.

duncanh":2di0uxtd said:
I like the idea of the Trend but when I tried one at Harrogate I didn't like the feel of it (I have back and neck problems already and the extra weight might make it worse). The air flowing over my face in summer is appealing though.

I personally do not have any problems with the old Trend design even when worn for extended periods of 2-3 hrs.; the new one should be even better balanced, the old one does need a little experimentation on band adjustment to get the best balance but it is nowhere near as heavy as the average crash helmet and not much different to a good quality site helmet etc.

interesting to hear your comment about eyes Chas. After an hour's turning yesterday, I had itchy eyes all night. If I add up the cost of the Optrex, I could probably buy an air fed face mask.

You've convinced me! This is getting a very expensive hobby :)

Steve wtbd

Steve with the Black Dog":6a89pqpf said:
..... After an hour's turning yesterday, I had itchy eyes all night. ......

Steve, the itching eyes are bad enough but it also means that whatever is causing the irritation it's causing a histamine reaction, sooner or later a full blown reaction could hit you with a bang, people are rightly concerned about breathing dust into their lungs and airways and would not dream of chewing the stuff but letting it get in your eyes is just as bad as far as the actual risk of chemical absorbtion I think.

I find that I have to shower after a dusty session just to make sure that latent dust in my hair or on my clothes does not get transferred to my face during the evening, strange thing with my reactions they usually take place 4-5 hours after last exposure. (there again it could be 8-10 hrs after initial exposure.)

Sympathy is always forthcoming in the guise of "You didn't bother to shower DID YOU [-X " though :lol:

You're quite right about the shower - surprised you could smell me from there though, Chas:D

Do you think the dust could give you head aches? I woke up with a splitter this morning.

Steve

Steve with the Black Dog":2bunafll said:
Do you think the dust could give you head aches? I woke up with a splitter this morning.

Steve

Assuming the bottle of Whisky didn't do it might be, some woods can cause headaches, and not just from flying loose from the chuck.

What wood were you using? see if it is listed in the references shown in the link in my sig.

CHJ":2hivcz94 said:
Assuming the bottle of Whisky didn't do it might be, some woods can cause headaches, and not just from flying loose from the chuck.

What wood were you using? see if it is listed in the references shown in the link in my sig.

It was only ash. Must've been the late night, the beer and the wine - I was hoping I'd found another culprit :D

Thats a bizarre co-incedence, Steve .... I was (trying to) make a flute out of ash at the weekend, and having finished the mouthpiece, I went in the house to a very welcome Fish Supper, andSingle King-Rib and afterwards had a half bottle of Jacky Daniels with Red bull, and I woke up with a stonking headache.

If its not the ash... I'd advocate staying away from those King Ribs.. I reckon there must be chemicals or something in 'em :wink:

Anybody know why this thread comes up wider than my screen, so I have to scroll across to read it?
I've noticed this with one or two other postings, and wondered why it happens.

It's usually when an oversize pic is posted or when a long URL is posted e.g. on page one of this thread

...does my head in too Dick :wink:

Need to educate the members in the BBCode, and how to post thumb nails instead of the full size photo. :roll:

Back