Tracking down the correct router cutter for a sash window

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markturner

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am restoring some old sash windows for a listed building and while I can find several cutters that produce a shape near the required, ( for example here: https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/CM...-set-635-radius-x-12mm-cut-x-1-2-shank/P37457) they all seem to be rounder than I require. Its the rounded section of the ovolo that is giving me the issue, I need to be more elongated and almost an ellipse.

Its a very common profile on many old windows that I can find .... I realise that a spindle moulder is the answer , but I dont have one, and wanted if possible to try and make these myself. So was thinking I ask here and maybe some of you might have some suggestions where I could get the required cutter or if indeed one does exist?? Overall size is 35mm tall and 18mm wide

Obviously if no joy, I will have to approach someone who can make a cutter up to match and get them run off.....

Cheers, Mark

Attachments

• IMG_8092.jpg
    IMG_8092.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Getting exactly what you want is going to be a bit hit-and-miss. When I was working in London many of the timber merchants still sold sash stock already machined. Its only downside was that it was often a bit undersized compared to the existing windows in the old houses I was working in.

A spindle is really the only answer. If you are grinding the cutters yourself you can even get away with just having to sharpen the one, for small runs.

If you can find anyone to custom make a pair of router cutters then you are probably well on the way to affording a small spindle set up.

I am restoring some old sash windows for a listed building and while I can find several cutters that produce a shape near the required, ( for example here: https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/CM...-set-635-radius-x-12mm-cut-x-1-2-shank/P37457) they all seem to be rounder than I require. Its the rounded section of the ovolo that is giving me the issue, I need to be more elongated and almost an ellipse.

Its a very common profile on many old windows that I can find .... I realise that a spindle moulder is the answer , but I dont have one, and wanted if possible to try and make these myself. So was thinking I ask here and maybe some of you might have some suggestions where I could get the required cutter or if indeed one does exist?? Overall size is 35mm tall and 18mm wide

Obviously if no joy, I will have to approach someone who can make a cutter up to match and get them run off.....but then I will have the problem of having to match the pattern on my stiles and rails

Cheers, Mark

Obviously if no joy, I will have to approach someone who can make a cutter up to match and get them run off.....

Cheers, Mark
You may get something closer if you shop around but I wouldn't count on it.
I discovered this when I first started sash renovations and sorted it eventually with home-made spindle cutters. Easy to get a perfect match.
The curve looks like an ovolo but is more likely to be just a segment of a circle. I tried actual ovolo shapes but they always looked wrong. Seem to recall a 2p piece matched a lot of profiles.

Just a thought, but have you checked out Titmans full range of Roman Ovolo cutters. They only have matching scribes for a few but the range is bigger than it used to be.

Its the radius that matters "D" is the diameter of the cutter. "R" is the radius of the profile. Look at scott and sargeant they do CMT ones.

L1 is I believe the height of the actual profiled section, as apposed to L, which is the full height including the straight bit at the top.

Maybe try Wealden Tools as well, they usually have a good range. Would have thought Roman Ogee would be close but as people have said might be hit and miss. A lot of the small differences come as a result of difference between imperial and metric if older windows I guess. Good luck!

Back