Tool Shows

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Established Member
Reaction score
Fellas

Theres light at the end of the tunnel where my garage/workshop conversion is concerned and my thoughts are now turning from OSB, Ply, damp proof and the do I or don't I put a wooden floor down question (yes you do was the answer to that one). I'm now thinking about upgrading some quite old albeit serviceable black and decker power tools to something possibly yellow. My planned tool cupboard will look a bit bare with only a set of axi chisels some draper screw drivers and a plane with a blade that was forged and honed on a rock while the craftsman was looking over his shoulder in case a t-rex got him !! The only tool that has an air of quality is a brand spanking (still in unopened box) joseph marples square which I picked up from a boot fair for 25p (yipee, my first gloat :D :lol: )

So on to the question, as i'm in no particular hurry to replace and generally stock the tool cupboard (swmbo has a list of jobs that can be all but completed on the ts with a bit of "knocking down" with a belt sander) I'm thinking of waiting until the DM Tool show in November to hopefully pick up some quality tools at a bit of a discount.

Shopping list thus far:

trend router for use in the RT
yellow leccy drill (not JCB :wink: )
a new plane (or 3)
possibly a dovetail jig.
some new screw drivers
set of chisels

Are the discounts at these shows worth the wait or am I better off shopping around on t'interweb.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Vinny

Hi Vinny,

I can't speak for all shows but I went to a Record Power event at Tewkesbury Saw Company in March, on a mission to refresh my workshop machinery and paid about 15% below what other online suppliers were asking for the same kit list.

However, I bought a lot of kit and was in contact with the RP rep before the show so he knew I wasn't messing around and wanted his best price otherwise I'd go elsewhere. The reps can give bigger discounts at their more profitable retailers so it worth asking in advance.

HTH,
C

Vinny":ektenhqm said:
Fellas

... until the DM Tool show in November to hopefully pick up some quality tools at a bit of a discount.

Shopping list thus far:

trend router for use in the RT
yellow leccy drill (not JCB :wink: )
a new plane (or 3)
possibly a dovetail jig.
some new screw drivers
set of chisels

Are the discounts at these shows worth the wait or am I better off shopping around on t'interweb.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Vinny

I wouldn't bother with a dovetail jig, buy a decent dovetail saw (LV) and learn to do them by hand. Planes...again for me a LV jack and LN block (or LV block) would be a first choice with a LV BU smoother as a third. Chisels are interesting, having seen the CI Fall ones from Matthew at WH I'd go for them. What's missing is some sharpening gear for the chisels and plane irons - Rob

There are a couple of shows coming up that aren't too far from you... There's the Festival of the Tree at Westonbirt Arboretum in a month's time. Early September, there'll be another Yandles show down in Martock. At both shows, I know Classic Hand Tools usually offer a discount on their products - I think it's 10% off the regular price? It's always worth contacting them in advance to ensure they'll have what you require on the day. :wink:

Brimarc may also offer a similar discount, I'm not sure...

Of course, if you're looking to spend a fair wad of cash then, you may be able to barter for an even better deal! :D

Rob

Thinking that a dovetail jig was a "must have" is 100% down to Norm, and yes, i'll revisit cutting them by hand, haven't done that since I was at school.
I'll admit that it took a while to decode the manufactures, although I got Lie Nielson straight away (presuming that one is LN) a bit of googling threw up Lee Valley for LV and subsequently Veritas. Both the Veritas and LN planes are obviously quality pieces of kit, justifying the purchase to myself let alone the long haired general would be difficult at the very least. I see myself (in the shortish term -hopefully) being a Stanley man - unless anyone can suggest a viable alternative.

I've looked at the CI Fall chisels and they will be on Santas letter - thanks for the heads up.

Sharpening, I will admit to 3 oil stones and an Axi bench top grinder, but please bear in mind i'm a plumbers son, so my exposure to sharpening has been in the "give it a coat of angle grinder and then touch it up on the oil stone" school, in fact the sharpest thing in my old boys van was his shovel !!

As before, your input is greatly appreciated

Olly

I was thinking of going to Westonbirt, I think you've made my mind up for me, thanks. I'll also combine my purchase of a camvac with the Yandles show.

Chris

Thanks for the gen, I've had exposure to other trade fairs in the past, all of them to do with carp fishing and the "bargains" are normally last years stock or ex display items. Hence the reason for the post, just seeing whether the woodworking trade was any different.

Vinny":29bs8w1v said:
Rob

I see myself (in the shortish term -hopefully) being a Stanley man - unless anyone can suggest a viable alternative.

If you're forced down that route, rather than buying the modern rubbish you might do as well to try and pick up old Stanleys or Records and "fettle" them yourself. There's lots of info on here on how to do it.

Unless of course you're thinking of the new Stanley premium range?
I don't have any experience of those, so wouldn't be in a position to comment.

Good luck with it all anyway and enjoy your new workshop. (hammer)

Vinny":e83c9a6m said:
Rob

Thinking that a dovetail jig was a "must have" is 100% down to Norm, and yes, i'll revisit cutting them by hand, haven't done that since I was at school.
I'll admit that it took a while to decode the manufactures, although I got Lie Nielson straight away (presuming that one is LN) a bit of googling threw up Lee Valley for LV and subsequently Veritas. Both the Veritas and LN planes are obviously quality pieces of kit, justifying the purchase to myself let alone the long haired general would be difficult at the very least. I see myself (in the shortish term -hopefully) being a Stanley man - unless anyone can suggest a viable alternative.

I've looked at the CI Fall chisels and they will be on Santas letter - thanks for the heads up.

Sharpening, I will admit to 3 oil stones and an Axi bench top grinder, but please bear in mind i'm a plumbers son, so my exposure to sharpening has been in the "give it a coat of angle grinder and then touch it up on the oil stone" school, in fact the sharpest thing in my old boys van was his shovel !!

As before, your input is greatly appreciated
Vinny - sorry for the use of the acronyms, but I thought that anyone who frequented hereabouts would be familiar with Lie-Nielson and Lee Valley/Veritas :oops: ...if you weren't, you soon will be :)
The issue of handtools is a contentious one and depends largely on your budget. Stanley and Record make great planes...but don't buy a new one! Second hand tools are far better and a decent No5 could be had for about £25ish. If you're passing through town later, a visit to Penny Farthing Tools is highly recommended, as they usually always have good selection of used tools (of all sorts) to pick over. The CI Fall chisels are very good IMO, if you wanted to push the boat out a little further, then consider the Ashley Isles MkII.
Sharpening is even more of an issue. I use DMT diamond stones with an Eclipse honing guide, but cheaper versions of the stones are available (again, look in PFT) but whatever system you eventually opt for, it's one of the most essential things to learn and get right.
My own view is that if you're in a business situation, then the use of a jig to cut dovetails is warranted, purely from a time saving standpoint, but as a hobbyist, cutting them by hand is part of the fun an ultimately a lot more rewarding (and cheaper...good brownie points here for SWIMBO - [She Who Immediately Must Be Obeyed]) and there's no question that the new LV dovetail saw is the one to go for (again, about £40, which in tool/saw terms is relatively inexpensive) - Rob

Latest posts

Back