Tool Post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerro

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had my Myford wood lathe about a month now and just getting round to these items they seem to be for the tool post but with the threads upper most I can’t seem to figure out how to use them is something missing that fit the threads please can someone explain how they are used

Attachments

• DSC_2950.JPG
    DSC_2950.JPG
    4.2 MB
My eyes are very bad these days, but I am reasonably sure there are some hyroglyphics on the second one from left. Those markings could almost pass for words of the English language. Perhaps you could write down what your perception of those words are and how they might help identify the items and their use.

These days, when I see words I do not understand, I put them into a search engine and it usually helps. I also find it quicker than having to log in here and compose a post. Often, even if my reading comprehension is lacking, I can find a moving pictue with sound that adequately clears up my puzzlement.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-evolution-series-tool-posts-ax960635

Robert Sorby originated that interchangeable tool rest system as the Axminster clones . The two systems do go well together but I think the Axi post is less compatible due to differing thread lengths from memory.

Yes, as has been said, you ave the tool posts and you can buy different lengths of rest to screw on. Axminster sell them.
I have owned a ML8 for over 40 years. I don't use it much now because I have a graduate and a viceroy, but it is a well built, solid lathe which would have cost over £1000 at today's prices. I have a price list from the 80's showing some interesting accessories. Myford used to make attachments for it, including planer with thicknesser attachment, band saw, table saw, mortiser, grinding wheel, and sanding table, so it was a universal machine. Dated now and with limited cpacity but still a very good lathe and as I often say - will still be going when some of the chaiwanese lathes with all their whistles and bells have long since been consigned to the scrap heap.

K

Back