Moving from Devon to SW Scotland

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you like midges ?
Not really that bad this year
1_GWi6nmJXcAAGZU5jpeg.jpg

& rain,cold & snow?

Completely normal for a summers day :LOL:

However
Population density for England per sq mile -1,124
Population density for Scotland per sq mile - 181
Wales-396. Ni Ireland-355

Down south, they are really packing them in. Come up by all means, perfectly welcome.
And of course we have the best scenery in the country, and ranks highly against the rest of the world.
" Scotland was voted above Canada and New Zealand as the world's most beautiful country. It is the “wild beaches, deep lochs and craggy castles” that gave Scotland the boost to take a top spot."
We also have around about 900 islands, 94 of which are inhabited, and many are protected as havens for wildlife.

Last edited:
Did it from Yorkshire in 2010. If I remember rightly it was about a grand. Right now I’m in the process of moving 4 miles away and it’s 2 grand! That’s inflation for you!!

Because of the distance, you will end up with a three day move: a day to pack, a day to drive and a day to unpack. I’d budget £3-3.5k.

Not really that bad this year
View attachment 190992

Completely normal for a summers day :LOL:

However
Population density for England per sq mile -1,124
Population density for Scotland per sq mile - 181
Wales-396. Ni Ireland-355

Down south, they are really packing them in. Come up by all means, perfectly welcome.
And of course we have the best scenery in the country, and ranks highly against the rest of the world.
" Scotland was voted above Canada and New Zealand as the world's most beautiful country. It is the “wild beaches, deep lochs and craggy castles” that gave Scotland the boost to take a top spot."
We also have around about 900 islands, 94 of which are inhabited, and many are protected as havens for wildlife.
Is Scotland a country? Or a Nation?
🤔🤔🤫🤫🫣🫣

I can imagine Devon and cornwall are like sardine cans and just way to crowded to enjoy living, SW Scotland is a fairly large area from Stranraer to M74 and upto Glasgow so anywhere in particular ? The weather is probably not that bad until you compare it to the SW of England so similar to Cumbria and far nicer scenery. Scotland is a country as it used to have it's own monarchy, it should be it's own boss by now.

Thank you for your replies and encouragement to date!

We are moving to Lochmaben, about 14 miles from the South coast and about 10 miles from Dumfries which has all important services including a modern regional hospital.

We've visited the area previously in May, August and October and have now put a deposit on a new build buggerlow on a corner plot, the main attraction being one-level living (my wife suffering a stroke 3 years ago) and a 5.5M x 4.9M integral double garage with access from the house, electric roller shutter door , heating and lighting. I have specified 4 X 4ft double LED battens and six double sockets. It has solar panels. It's interesting to see a modern building being put together, there's 150mm of Kingspan under the floors, 300mm insulation between ceiling joists with a 150mm layer at right angles

The garden looks flat and manageable, all grass apart from a paved patio on the South facing side and I've asked for a 5M x 2.2M slab for my caravan and a 3M x 2M slab for a shed/greenhouse and exterior power and electric points.

It'll be the first time I have not had to do that sort of job myself, but look forward to building a shed for a motor mower, hopefully with what SWMBO calls 'a slopey window part to raise seedlings in...'*
and a sailing canoe but I expect other royal commands will push that down the list...

Our daughter lives about an hour distant in South Lanarkshire.

*This doesn't Google very easily!

I can imagine Devon and cornwall are like sardine cans and just way to crowded to enjoy living, SW Scotland is a fairly large area from Stranraer to M74 and upto Glasgow so anywhere in particular ? The weather is probably not that bad until you compare it to the SW of England so similar to Cumbria and far nicer scenery. Scotland is a country as it used to have it's own monarchy, it should be it's own boss by now.
Hi, Roy,
Even 8 years ago it was bearable, then we had a view of a hillside with cows and sheep and a lovely tree line. That's all gone under the 1500 new homes that have sprung up. Being under the rain shadow of Dartmoor we have some changeable weather here too.

Here we wait until the school holidays are over and the first frosts are threatening before we go off in our 'van or visit the seaside villages when they are grateful to see you.

I shall miss pubs, it's a different culture in D & G.

The coastal area from Dumfries round the coast to Dalbeattie is very scenic going via new abbey. Being only 4 miles from the M74 gives good access to Carlisle and Penrith.

Thank you for your replies and encouragement to date!

We are moving to Lochmaben, about 14 miles from the South coast and about 10 miles from Dumfries which has all important services including a modern regional hospital.

We've visited the area previously in May, August and October and have now put a deposit on a new build buggerlow on a corner plot, the main attraction being one-level living (my wife suffering a stroke 3 years ago) and a 5.5M x 4.9M integral double garage with access from the house, electric roller shutter door , heating and lighting. I have specified 4 X 4ft double LED battens and six double sockets. It has solar panels. It's interesting to see a modern building being put together, there's 150mm of Kingspan under the floors, 300mm insulation between ceiling joists with a 150mm layer at right angles

The garden looks flat and manageable, all grass apart from a paved patio on the South facing side and I've asked for a 5M x 2.2M slab for my caravan and a 3M x 2M slab for a shed/greenhouse and exterior power and electric points.

It'll be the first time I have not had to do that sort of job myself, but look forward to building a shed for a motor mower, hopefully with what SWMBO calls 'a slopey window part to raise seedlings in...'*
and a sailing canoe but I expect other royal commands will push that down the list...

Our daughter lives about an hour distant in South Lanarkshire.

*This doesn't Google very easily!
Stopped there once at (I think it was the Queens back then) the King's Arms. Sometime around 1990.
Thought it was a nice quiet friendly place there.
House sounds good (and the garage!) Hope it's a successful move for you.

Around here anything larger than a postage stamp seems to be having a council estate built on it.
I think that is happening everywhere, our once pleasant and green land that once was is being destroyed forever and the whole process is just completely rear end about face. Houses without the infrastructure or jobs is pointless, why people do not look into these things before buying and then moaning they have a forty mile round trip for the kids school and the nearest dentist is both private and twenty odd miles away shows lack of logical thought. Round here over the last decade many places now have a busy period where traffic grinds to a halt and the roads are now just over conjested compared to what things once were, lovely little towns have been over developed with housing and the kids run ferral as there is nothing for them to do.

Back