Tool identification

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benhen31

Established Member
Reaction score
Inherited this in a box of bits. Anyone know what it is and what the use case is? Some sort of thread making thing perhaps?

IMG_0013.JPG

It is called a tap and die set. The taps have a male thread (like a bolt).

It is made at the lower end of the quality scale, so best used for cleaning up existing threads rather than trying to cut new ones.

Go easy with the two smallest taps lest they snap. The handle length on the holder is excessive for taps of those small sizes.

Ah, that makes sense. I'll have to look up how to use them! They're a good 20 years old.
Thanks!

Now that rings a bell- did a pipework run a while back in 1” black iron and had to reverse the cutter after a few turns -the bits of thread were evil and razor sharp..

Looks like a full set, the M8 will be the one in the handle. The markings on the dies tell you the diameter and the pitch, so M5x0.8 means the distance between the peaks of the thread is 0.8mm. You should be able to find the drill sizes for tapping online, so for M5 you drill 4 point something, not 5.

A 'proper' engineers set will have first, second and perhaps third cut in each size. I have a very old imperial set like the one you have and it's fine for small DIY jobs as long as you take your time and use plenty of lubricant.

Depends on the metal. I was tapping an old train carriage body last week, circum 1954, for a new fastener (Whitworth to Metric 6) and, despite putting through a 5.5mm drill to cut away the old threads, it was barely half-a-turn in, relieve, rinse (Trefolex), repeat. Hard going. The thickness was just about three threads, so maybe 3mm thick?

To be honest, the set will probably live in a cupboard for a few more years unused!

Looks like a full set, the M8 will be the one in the handle. The markings on the dies tell you the diameter and the pitch, so M5x0.8 means the distance between the peaks of the thread is 0.8mm. You should be able to find the drill sizes for tapping online, so for M5 you drill 4 point something, not 5.

A 'proper' engineers set will have first, second and perhaps third cut in each size. I have a very old imperial set like the one you have and it's fine for small DIY jobs as long as you take your time and use plenty of lubricant.
I would no be without my Zeus book for thread identification and drill size I can still tell by looking if it's whit, metric, BSF metric can be a little harder with the different pitches and M8 v 5/16whit always a second look

Bought a set of miniature taps and die years ago from Manchester minerals the dies are on a single plate and the taps are about 1.5 to 2.5 in diameter they were made for jewelry making and I was told the plate was s sliver of railway track no 1 steel that had been hacksawn of these were made in India . The smaller hole above the number is the die not the large hole
IMG_20240902_133924_749.jpg

Last edited:
Hadn't heard of Zeus before! I don't any die and tap work, although I have some very old tap and die from my dad from when he was a toolmaker. Some of them still has his name engraved on the bits so that they wouldn't get stolen! Anyway, I thought I would look this up and came across this great website about tap and die - very interesting stuff, so if I ever get into doing tap and die I will know where to go!

https://www.avontapdie.co.uk/news-and-promotions

Back