Tool collecting addiction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SABLE=stuff accumulated beyond life expectancy. I've got it badly, because I love anything that looks good and works well.

As long as you dont amass 2 or more of the same tool (not sure exactly why thats has happened to me!) then your half way there !
...some bevel edged chisels, but the duplicates are ground 20-25 degrees for Intricate softwood stuff, I had to when I made a cold frame from salvaged cedarwood.

Musicians are afflicted by a similar condition commonly known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS for short. I used to suffer from terrible GAS but then woodworking replaced music as the main hobby. Thankfully I don't have the tool collecting problem, it's not a problem, it's not a problem, it's not a problem...🤪
Certainly agree with the comment about musicians. Used to know a guy who had more electric guitars than you could shake a stick at. Pretty much every room had at least one, and his living room had them hanging on the walls, lined up behind the sofa etc. When I said " got enough guitars?", the friend who had introduced us, and had known this guy for years, just laughed. He took me to one of the bedrooms and on opening the door there were just rows and rows of the things, and more hanging from the ceiling.

There is a chap on another forum who at last count had I believe 5 different versions of the Harrison M300 lathe! Bearing in mind these are about 6 foot long, weigh 3/4 of a ton and cost anything from £5-15k I wish I had the room, or indeed the money.

Looking at these sort of people I can easily convince myself that having a couple of hundred screwdrivers is perfectly normal :)

I have about 25 different pliers and grips. A neighbour looked in my workshop at nine or ten tool boxes and asked if I had enough - I don't know whether she believed me when I said I had another sixteen indoors.

Tool or machine collecting or any kind of collecting can be a problem.....I have a good mate who collects watches, he must have about 50 or 60, all top of the line and valuable........Why?.....You can only wear one at a time!......I bet he hasn't worn more than 10 of them!

But it doesn't stop him collecting or buying more when he sees a bargain or a " must have" watch.

The best thing to do is become addicted to really expensive machines/tools.
That way you can only admire them from afar.

Being a snob is cheaper in the long run and you have more space to work in, which is priceless.

Last edited:
I do get this, sometimes all we are looking for is a bargain and think it might not come up again, but sometimes the things we decide not to have come back in another way. The other thing you could do is make a list of the tools you want but then prioritise them. Equally? Only order what you need at the time. Back in the day it took a long time to deliver machines or tools. But now? You can get things next day so work with that theory and know you will be able to complete a job most of the time.

Also? A clean workshop space is easier to deal with. The more tools? The more mind clutter.

I really want a morticer but I do have mortise chisels. Also? Avoid YouTube? Those workshops are built on lots of different avenues.

But yes, try to keep a lid on it and definitely don’t let it take over.

Musicians are afflicted by a similar condition commonly known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or GAS for short. I used to suffer from terrible GAS but then woodworking replaced music as the main hobby. Thankfully I don't have the tool collecting problem, it's not a problem, it's not a problem, it's not a problem...🤪
1726939801445.png

If you have bought tools with the purpose of just having that tool with no intent to use it, you're a collector. If you continue to purchase tools as the need arises (me) then you're not afflicted.
Simply having lots of tools does not necessarily mean you have a problem. It's how/why you bought them and what you do/don't do with them that makes the difference.
The only tools I have that I don't readily pick up and use, are those that are waiting for rehab, everything else is fair game. By the same token, if a tool is broken and can no longer perform it's intended use or be repaired, it goes in the bin.

Tool or machine collecting or any kind of collecting can be a problem.....I have a good mate who collects watches, he must have about 50 or 60, all top of the line and valuable........Why?.....You can only wear one at a time!......I bet he hasn't worn more than 10 of them!

But it doesn't stop him collecting or buying more when he sees a bargain or a " must have" watch.
Oh heck I definitely have a problem then. I have about 60 wrist watches, and probably 150 pocket watches.
Don't know how many clocks, maybe 50 if I include ones in my shed that are on the to do list.
I do wear the wristwatches, as I write this a 1950's Sturmanskie 2 pilot watch, the same type as worn by Gagarin, the first watch in space.
I just enjoy repairing and restoring them, then cannot bring myself to part with them.

Last edited:
Back