Timber advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone give me some suggestions on where to buy reasonable timber other than my usual places such as B&Q and the like. I always end up sorting through to find anything decent. I am near Dudley in the West Midlands.
My reason for asking is that I plan to make a wall mounted tool cabinet and wanted to try some dovetail joints just for the hell of it. I was thinking of a soft wood frame and plywood panels.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

As others have said a local timber yard should have more options for you. One thing to be aware of is that softwood is much more difficult to cut accurate dovetails in than hardwood. You'll need well sharpened tools and have to sneak up on your lines. Softwoods rings typically vary greatly in hardness between the summer and winter growth phases which makes accurate cuts across them problematic.

As others have said a local timber yard should have more options for you. One thing to be aware of is that softwood is much more difficult to cut accurate dovetails in than hardwood. You'll need well sharpened tools and have to sneak up on your lines. Softwoods rings typically vary greatly in hardness between the summer and winter growth phases which makes accurate cuts across them problematic.
Thanks for the advice.
Much appreciated 👍.

What would be the recommended wood for a project like this?
Anyone in the West Midlands recommended a specific timber yard?
Thanks.

I have used Simeon Bateman near me in Stourbridge in the past for veneered sheet material and some long lengths of European Oak. You can give them a cutting list too if needed. All my tool racks and cupboards are made of reclaimed pallets, MDF and plywood but as previously mentioned, softwood may not be the ideal timber to practice a joint like dovetails. Or, hone your dovetail skills first, then go for softwood.

One source of hardwood cane be old furniture, look local on gumtree for free/cheap vintage wardrobes will normal have solid sides that can be repurposed.

Latest posts

Back