The things you find out....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly ten years ago I met up with a group of internet runner friends in a camping field near Matlock, camping overnight for a marathon or half marathon the next day. One of the groups had a daughter with them who was also racing the next day. She was in her first year of Uni if I remember right. Mom asked her to help with the breakfast the next morning. She said she would make the porridge, she knows how to make it. So, Mom gave her a bag of oats. She said what's this? Mom said porridge. So what do I do with it? It turned out that she had only experienced making porridge from the 'just add water/milk' packets. She is now a teacher and apparently a very good one of several years.

My wife asked my sixteen year old daughter to make coffee for the scaffolders. How do I do that? she asked. No one in our house drank coffee, she'd never made it, not even instant. I was forty before I ever cooked rice.

I've written this before, but it's still one of my "favourites"....

Many years ago, sitting at a "Sound and Light" show opposite the Acropolis, which was being constantly maintained for obvious reasons...
A Yank cruise ship had turned up at nearby Piraeus, and had the same show as one of the shore excursions.
Consequently the few rows of seating on the hillside behind us were occupied by tourists from the good ol' US of A... I'd never seen as many cameras and check shirts in my life.
Bear in mind how much this Med cruise - fly cruise? - must have cost them... you'd have thought a certain amount of intelligence/research/success/general knowledge would have been evident?
The show itself was magnificent.
Stereo - if not quad - sound for the effects, superb lighting to add to the story line of the overall history....it was very atmospheric.
5000 years of history, compressed into maybe 45 minutes of superb entertainment...

At some point in an intermission, the lights picked out the building in its current state. That's when one of the Yank ladies was overheard asking her husband - "Harrrrrry" if memory serves me - when were they going to "finish building it..." 😳

Back