The things you find out....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly ten years ago I met up with a group of internet runner friends in a camping field near Matlock, camping overnight for a marathon or half marathon the next day. One of the groups had a daughter with them who was also racing the next day. She was in her first year of Uni if I remember right. Mom asked her to help with the breakfast the next morning. She said she would make the porridge, she knows how to make it. So, Mom gave her a bag of oats. She said what's this? Mom said porridge. So what do I do with it? It turned out that she had only experienced making porridge from the 'just add water/milk' packets. She is now a teacher and apparently a very good one of several years.

My wife asked my sixteen year old daughter to make coffee for the scaffolders. How do I do that? she asked. No one in our house drank coffee, she'd never made it, not even instant. I was forty before I ever cooked rice.

I've written this before, but it's still one of my "favourites"....

Many years ago, sitting at a "Sound and Light" show opposite the Acropolis, which was being constantly maintained for obvious reasons...
A Yank cruise ship had turned up at nearby Piraeus, and had the same show as one of the shore excursions.
Consequently the few rows of seating on the hillside behind us were occupied by tourists from the good ol' US of A... I'd never seen as many cameras and check shirts in my life.
Bear in mind how much this Med cruise - fly cruise? - must have cost them... you'd have thought a certain amount of intelligence/research/success/general knowledge would have been evident?
The show itself was magnificent.
Stereo - if not quad - sound for the effects, superb lighting to add to the story line of the overall history....it was very atmospheric.
5000 years of history, compressed into maybe 45 minutes of superb entertainment...

At some point in an intermission, the lights picked out the building in its current state. That's when one of the Yank ladies was overheard asking her husband - "Harrrrrry" if memory serves me - when were they going to "finish building it..." 😳

I recently completed a college course on basic construction skills (I'm retired, but have a dream of building my own house). I probably increased the average age of the students in the class by at least 10 years. Most were just out of school. I was shocked by 2 things .... the inability of my class mates to do anything for any length of time, without looking at their phones (their ability to concentrate on anything was shocking), and their lack of general knowledge.

Couple of examples - one of them didn't know we had left the EU, and another thought Barack Obama was the prime minister!!

...and some of them will have voted in the last general election!

It doesn't hurt to apply Dubbin to shoes (boots especially if for use in winter or wet environment); but first polish them. Makes them (the leather uppers) more water repellant, softer and longer lasting (less inclined to crack and/ordry out.

In olden daze when footie boots were made from leather - and had really nasty leather studs held together with sharp nails (which also were used to attach them to the sole) - Dubbin was the treatment...
When I was at secondary school, our p,e, teacher Alan Ross told us that if any of us were ever on tv we should tell the world never to use dubbin on football boots. No idea why, and I've never been on tv.

In response to David66: At a school in the Highlands phones have been banned. The behaviour and attention spans of the pupils has been remarkedly improved. Consultation with the pupils has found that most of the pupils are enjoying the experience and feel much less pressured and are actually talking face to face with their peers at breaks which is something that had diminished with the use of phones. It maybe rolled out in other schools in the region.

In response to David66: At a school in the Highlands phones have been banned. The behaviour and attention spans of the pupils has been remarkedly improved. Consultation with the pupils has found that most of the pupils are enjoying the experience and feel much less pressured and are actually talking face to face with their peers at breaks which is something that had diminished with the use of phones. It maybe rolled out in other schools in the region.
That is a brilliant idea.

I recently completed a college course on basic construction skills (I'm retired, but have a dream of building my own house). I probably increased the average age of the students in the class by at least 10 years. Most were just out of school. I was shocked by 2 things .... the inability of my class mates to do anything for any length of time, without looking at their phones (their ability to concentrate on anything was shocking), and their lack of general knowledge.

Couple of examples - one of them didn't know we had left the EU, and another thought Barack Obama was the prime minister!!

Worrying, isn't it?
Mind you, the number of people I know who don't watch/listen to "the news" is astonishing.
Out with the dog yesterday, I bumped into a friend of mine who informed me that his sister-in-law and husband had just snapped up a short-notice holiday deal to Egypt.
I happened to comment that I would have had second thoughts about travelling to anywhere in the Middle East at present.
"Me too", was his response, "but then they didn't know about the problems out that way...."
Apparently neither of them watch the news because "it's always bad news and so depressing".

The mind boggles.

And they were talking about giving 16 year olds the vote!
You have to remember that their "general knowledge" is in that phone. They don't need to remember anything, so they don't.
It all reminds me of a long ago read Sci-Fi story where (IIRC) everybody was virtually immortal except for accidental death, but the result was that they had no memory, so carried a sort of universal computer / video recorder to record and "remember" their lives.
Sounds familiar.

"So that's like a brilliant, like, idea, right, init!".

But without the "hard" t's, obviously.
For example, the word "brilliant" is pronounced "brillian" with an open gob utterance replacing the final letter.
(As in "letter", come to think, but the open gob utterance would replace both t's) :rolleyes:

Oh.
And finish using "ah" instead of "er"....

Back