The house of the 'not-too-distant' future

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dibs-h":38z33p8h said:
TrimTheKing":38z33p8h said:
I want to come and see your house!!! :shock: :D

Set up some tours - be a good money making scheme!

Seriously - wow, that's defintely a rich (figuratively speaking) and varied life.
I definately have an over rich life, sadly I don't have the wealth to support it with me being a lowly teacher (we don't get paid for our long holidays spent preparing for next term).

The house would only be a money making scheme for unscrupulous thieves. It is nothing really, just a big old Victorian ruin that is being slowly made habitable again. Most of the house is still a hard hat and steel toe boot area and I live around acro props and piles of building materials. Even my girlfriend commented that my front drive is looking more like a junk yard with bits of tree, cobbles, kerb stones and trailer chassis piled up waiting to be sifted through and sorted.
Everything is either from freecycle or charity shops with a few Ebay bargains thrown in.

Back on topic.

Future profing a house is more to do with ensuring it is a good and flexible home that is efficient to run then to do with built in technology and gadgets.

It always bugs me that modern 'green' homes usually have lots of energy hungry kit in to 'control' air movement, heating, cooling and then monitoring everything to death.
An old Victorian house had natural ventilation through decent sash windows, lots of natural light and hardly used any energy except for heating. Took some effort though.
We should really be closer to the outside world when we want fresh air not sealed up in an atmospherically controlled box.

I would rather see energy used where it is necessary and not to make up for stuff that happens naturally.

We can not foresee the future of entertainment gadgets or how we will recieve data but one thing is for sure, we will still need to 'live' in the house with the basics of heat, hot water, ventilation and light so I would aim at getting that bit right as all else can be accounted for and changed as and when.

Latest posts

Back