THE FOURTH OF JULY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What could possibly go wrong with that 🤔🙄
It was just a short term way of funding councils with the naive promise that free markets would fulfil future needs i.e. stimulate the building industry.
It was also a bribe to the new home owners, especially those that became landlords.
It effectively wove into the housing market a coarse thread of crude capitalism, difficult to untangle without someone losing. The losers now are tenants, except that their rents may be subsidised, i.e. landlordism getting public funding, paid for by guess who - taxpayers of course, supporting developers and land owners and forcing house prices and profits ever higher.
No fault evictions just another detail creating positive feedback - it's a perfect storm of tory capitalist maladministration and double dealing.

Yes, right - we've all seen prices plummet, haven't we.

As I say, all we have seen is fewer available properties with all that entails.
Why fewer properties? Do they leave them empty, or demolish them?

It was just a short term way of funding councils with the naive promise that free markets would fulfil future needs i.e. stimulate the building industry.
It was also a bribe to the new home owners, especially those that became landlords.
It effectively wove into the housing market a coarse thread of crude capitalism, difficult to untangle without someone losing. The losers now are tenants, except that their rents may be subsidised, i.e. landlordism getting public funding, paid for by guess who - taxpayers of course, funding developers and land owners.
No fault evictions just another detail creating positive feedback - it's a perfect storm of tory capitalist maladministration and double dealing.

If you took the time to look into it, you will find that the council’s have been selling off council houses since the 1936 housing act, under the National Government, Right to buy was first proposed by……the Labour Party in their 1959 Manifesto, but was brought in under Conservatives.

Labour are addicted to "redistribution" and tax rises.
the U.K. does have a serious problem with wealth inequality.
So a bit of redistribution isn’t a bad thing

The wealthy have massively grown assets over the last decade, assets that have been gained from the workers and the govt, it’s the reason this country is such a mess

As for tax rises, well the Conservative Party have put in place £80billion worth of tax rises since 2019.

Why fewer properties? Do they leave them empty, or demolish them?
Simply because there are more people who are able to buy houses than there is supply. So, in general rentals sold reduce the number of rental available, making it increasing difficult for those who are unable to save up for a deposit to buy a house. With record population growth, the situation is inky going to get worse. We are density populated bit of land in Europe.

If you took the time to look into it, you will find that the council’s have been selling off council houses since the 1936 housing act, under the National Government, Right to buy was first proposed by……the Labour Party in their 1959 Manifesto, but was brought in under Conservatives.
You seem to have overlooked a vital detail:

Thatcher prevented councils from building new houses.

So it wasn’t the right to buy policy that was the problem but the net loss of council properties…but I’m sure you know that

You seem to have overlooked a vital detail:

Thatcher prevented councils from building new houses.

So it wasn’t the right to buy policy that was the problem but the net loss of council properties…but I’m sure you know that

I’d say that both Conservatives and Labour have a shocking track record, with Blair not reversing the trend / performing even worse.

IMG_1582.png

Simply because there are more people who are able to buy houses than there is supply. So, in general rentals sold reduce the number of rental available, making it increasing difficult for those who are unable to save up for a deposit to buy a house.
The real problem is wealthy people increasing their assets whilst the workers and the govt lose assets.

Property in the UK is a major vehicle for doing that.

Lowering barriers for landlords would not solve the problem as it would increase demand

Last edited:
The majority of rental properties are owned by individuals, not corporations. Most landlords own one rental property and use it as an investment / pension.
The rental market is owned by ‘ordinary’ people not the super wealthy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...h-private-landlord-survey-2021-main-report--2

The biggest push for private individuals moving into the rental market was trying to find a solution to secure a pension that was worth anything after Labours smash and grab of the pensions affecting all of us. They destroyed final salary schemes and looted the money from all of us. That was Tony and his companion Gordon.

I’d say that both Conservatives and Labour have a shocking track record, with Blair not reversing the trend / performing even worse.

View attachment 182453
Mmmm, thats a naughty bit of whataboutery, I shall have to keep an eye on you :)
My guess is you are a landlord?

I will just point out politely that youve avoided accepting the loss of council houses was not due to RTB policy originally floated by Labour but Thatcher preventing councils replacing sold stock

In regards to your graph, this is a commonly used bit of data, but its conveniently cherry picked because it states only council houses, Blair period did build plenty of housing association.

I guess you mightve got the graph from full fact but conveniently missed out the key point:

"Labour built more affordable properties in 2009 than the Conservatives did in each year between 1987 and 1990."

"homes built and managed by housing associations. These 'social landlords' provide affordable housing to those on low incomes, and were responsible for an increasing proportion of social house building from the early 1990s onwards. Between 1997 and 2010, some 350,000 housing association dwellings were built"

https://fullfact.org/economy/who-bu...y, Labour's housing spokesman,This is correct.

@RobinBHM My son owns an estate agency that also manages rental properties. 🤪

Council houses started in 1890 and was introduced by the Conservatives in the Housing of the Working Class Act.

Housing associations over the years have provided some of the worst accommodation. You may recall the scandal of the death Awaab Ishak in Rochdale due to black mould which has brought about reform in housing associations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...l-housing-initial-findings-accessible-version

I would like to suggest that in the main the better quality housing is provided by private landlords with a small number of houses, which is the majority. The exact group under attack from all sides.

Blair passed the buck and did not build council houses. Housing associations are not publically accountable like your local council. In fact fewer than Thatcher!

Simply because there are more people who are able to buy houses than there is supply.
Not so. There is an over supply of housing if you include empty properties, 2nd homes, holiday lets etc. It's just that the housing market has had wealth inequalities forced upon it, with some owning too much,with associated massive unearned capital gains forcing prices ever higher, whilst and others own too little, homeless or in substandard...etc
https://www.crisis.org.uk/about-us/...-have-a-real-impact-on-reducing-homelessness/
So, in general rentals sold reduce the number of rental available,
But increases the number of homes on the market. It's a zero sum game.
making it increasing difficult for those who are unable to save up for a deposit to buy a house.
Prices need to come down, wages/benefits need to go up.
With record population growth, the situation is inky going to get worse. We are density populated bit of land in Europe.
No we are not. 8th on this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_and_population_of_European_countries. Highish. But other EU countries take more immigrants than we do. Huge economic benefits invloved, we are losing out.

@RobinBHM My son owns an estate agency that also manages rental properties. 🤪

Council houses started in 1890 and was introduced by the Conservatives in the Housing of the Working Class Act.

Housing associations over the years have provided some of the worst accommodation.
Housing associations evolved to meet the scarcity caused by council house sell-offs. They are a Thatcher phenomenon.
You may recall the scandal of the death Awaab Ishak in Rochdale due to black mould which has brought about reform in housing associations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...l-housing-initial-findings-accessible-version

I would like to suggest that in the main the better quality housing is provided by private landlords
Some is, most is not, and in most towns and cities largely unaffordable by ordinary working people.

@Jacob The UK is short of circa 4 million home. The usual ‘grab second homes jibberish would make hardly a dent in the need.

https://www.centreforcities.org/housing/#:~:text=Centre for Cities' latest piece,of 4.3 million missing homes.

No party is going to fix that in a term in office. What’s important is not disturbing and reducing the fragile rental market that tuyere presently exists. If it continues to shrink we will see increasing homelessness with no solution.
Both major parties are clueless IMO when it comes to rental property. I remember the last time we had rent control, introduced by Labour, it destroyed the rental property market with landlords unable to maintain properties properly. Inflation might be running at c5% in the last few years, but building materials have more than doubled.

Last edited:
Back